front axle binding after rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guy's, I could use some help.

I finished my front axle rebuild on my 85 ex cab. The rebuild included all seals and new upper and lower bearings and races. I did check the bearing preload and was spot on. I also Martacked both inner axles during the rebuild. I installed new warn locking hubs from the orginal auto locking hubs. I am also pretty sure there is no locker in the front. The front axle rebuild looked like a first time.

So here is the problem. I am driving into a parking space at the supermarket in 4 high with the front hubs locked. The truck comes to a stop while pulling in, and I am not hitting the brakes. The front axle feels like it is fully locked up. The truck is also pretty much stuck in 4H and will not shift to 2H. I put the truck in reverse and am able to shift to 2H.

Had a similar issue in reverse.

Any ideas? Thanks

I was on a paved parking lot, I never had issues with the auto locking hubs. Well they were useless in reverse... I am a new to 4wd. I have had my 80 for a few years and I guess spoiled by the on/off road manners. Why would the front axle bind with an open diff? I can understand axle bind on pavement with a locker engaged like the 80.

Thanks

OK did some reading. Thanks for the help. I won't be running 4wd on any surface that doesn't allow some slip, don't want to buy a new transfer case.:doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom