Front Axel Shaft Inner Oil Seal Installation Help Solicited. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm installing the front left Axle Shaft after a Birfield service and need first of course to install the inner oil seal. The existing one that is still in place except for the the spring wire that supports the rubber is the type that has a metal race with the rubber seal affixed inside of it. It looks like I can not remove the rubber part and leave the metal race in place, but the replacement seal I have in my kit from Dan is the rubber piece ONLY! (To help identify this rubber seal as the correct one it bears the marking AC8368E). Do I need get a new complete oil seal or do I remove the metal race and replace the rubber part in it? I have done this before but just can't remember this much detail.

Thanks,
Michael

All my replacements were the brass race with rubber and inner metal coil spring. Rip out old, tap in new.

If you have a rubber seal only-that's a rear seal. The fronts are bonded metal and a double lip seal. Just pry the old metal one out, and get the right one for the install. Cruiserdan would not make this mistake, check your parts inventory.

The rears have a metal ring on the outside as well. I don't have a parts list here but you should double check the one you think has no metal and double check your parts list.

DougM

The rears have a metal ring on the outside as well. I don't have a parts list here but you should double check the one you think has no metal and double check your parts list.

DougM

Sorry, DOug, but the rear inner seal does not have a metal ring. You are thinking of the hub seal, the original poster is talking about the inner oil seal.

Thanks. Seems I only have the rear kit. I must have used the front already on a repair. I also need a new ABS sensor and local dealer says not available except in complete $500 unit! See my new post on this. Thanks guys.

Finding Replacement ABS Speed Sensor

The front driver side ABS speed sensor broke off when my brake caliper came loose on a ride (I guess I need do some re-torquing). Just the sensor end that attaches to the steering knuckle. Local dealer says this is not available except in a complete ABS system, cost $474.00! Is this true? Before I email Dan has anyone ever replaced this sensor or know if it is available? If I CAN'T get one I might be able to glue and soldier the broken one but I hope not to have to do that.

Michael

You cannot buy a single front ABS sensor from Toyota. There have been a few (2 or 3) that have managed to epoxy the sensor back together.

Good Luck.
-B-

Andrew,

Wow, I have such a clear memory of tapping those rear inner axle seals into the spindle tip. They have a brass ring with the rubber overmolded atop it so the rubber flows around the metal and forms the inner axle seal. Are you and I thinking of different parts? This is the seal that separates the gear oil in the rear diffy from the grease in the wheel bearings, right? I've got such a clear memory of this part because I've purposely set them in at different depths to reduce the seal lip wear on the shaft over the years and I've done 4 rear services. The rubber over the brass maybe makes them look all rubber.

Anyhow, just curious - no biggie.

DougM

Andrew,

Wow, I have such a clear memory of tapping those rear inner axle seals into the spindle tip. They have a brass ring with the rubber overmolded atop it so the rubber flows around the metal and forms the inner axle seal. Are you and I thinking of different parts? This is the seal that separates the gear oil in the rear diffy from the grease in the wheel bearings, right? I've got such a clear memory of this part because I've purposely set them in at different depths to reduce the seal lip wear on the shaft over the years and I've done 4 rear services. The rubber over the brass maybe makes them look all rubber.

Anyhow, just curious - no biggie.

DougM

Doug-Here they are. Rear inner oil seals, still in the bag from Cruiserdan. Seriously, the rears do not have metal rings. Please note-Cruiserdan continues to spell my name wrong, but I don't hold it against him.
Dougseals.jpg
dougseals1.jpg

Michael,
If that seal is 50mm OD, 33 - 34mm ID and 9.5mm thick, Its right to put in.
It may look a little different, depending on who made it.
The rear is 41mm OD and has a single sprung lip only.
Hope this helps.

Matt

The front sensor is available from cruiserparts.net, much better price

Agree--I had to replace one after my birf job. Broke the PS side ABS sensor. Until the new one came in, I just snapped off the sensor below the metal mounting plate, put a little silicone sealant under the plate, and drove with the ABS light on.

I have a bad ABS sensor in the rear DS and the front PS...not that ABS would do me much good with the truck sitting as it does.

Be careful with those little sensors, they are very pricey, on the verge of unobtanium. Junk yards and cruiserparts.net are the only sources I have found to get them for a reasonable price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom