Front and Rear Lockers Installed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First off let me just thank (SKIM-Robert) for all his help on the install I would not have been able to do it without him and (Alia176-Ali) for volunteering his # just in case I got stuck both of these guys are very cool and generous (good Karma to both of them). After many months of planning and organizing everything I would need I finally have a fully locked rig. :D

Total cost for whole project including shop time to install lockers and gears on 3rd members, tools I did not have and had to purchase, supplies est. $2900. Again I est. I saved $1349 in shop cost by doing the work myself. Plus I gained a whole lot of experience that in its self is worth it and I get to keep all the tools, air compressor that I bought :) Just for the two ARB lockers, ARB compressor, and gears I spent $2010. As you can see in the pic I have the option to use the ARB compressor for on board air but mostly like it will just be for locker duty. I have my co2 tank for an air source.

Here are the pics

Starting off with pulling the rear pumpkin
Notice the blue tarp I layed down. I stole the idea from another member here on mud. Worked out great because I had no stains after the work was done.
5l9dzq

5l9jls

The rear hub after I removed the nuts, and pounded out the cone washers with a brass hammer.

5lbgo4

I was surprised how clean the OEM gears were, no nicks or sratches even though they have 160k miles on them. Once the new gears were in I could really tell the diffrence in performance.
5l9e8p

After the axles were out, I locked my center diff. in order to help with uninstalling the drive shaft(which I also marked with a white line before I removed)

I then removed the bolts from the pumpkin and we pulled it out.

The front diff. took the most work. We did the same as the rear and more. First we removed the brake caliper, and rotors. We opened up the hub to gain access to the axles which we had to pull the axles out in order to have enough room to pull the pumpkin out. This is how it looked before the axles were out. Notice how I marked the hub.

5laucx

here it is when everything was out and cleaned
5laurl

Once reinstalled I torqued everything to spec. per the FSM

I was surprise how easy it was. After everything was out I took it to Four X doctor in Burbank CA. and they installed the lockers and gears. I told them to install the air hole on the top, but did not tell them to avoid the brake bracket you see here. Ofcourse thats exactly where they installed the air hole :doh: So I just bent the bracket back.

5l9g6s

pic of the rear airline
5l9isl

My lines are setup with the Slee manifold aren't they purty. I plan on hooking my slider air tanks to the aux. hole left on the manifold. The tanks are only 1-2lbs of air but should be enough to keep the compressor from activating every few minutes.
5l9ggi

Picture of the three magic switches, I relocated the rear heater switch to make room for all three switches.
5l9h6o

Also used Slees compressor mount to tuck it in nice and tight. I still need to clean the wires up a little but thats okay.
5l9hcy

I made the following mistakes

1. Ignoring the front brake bracket and not telling the shop to avoid adding the air hole righ underneath it. Bent the bracket back so the line could fit.

2. Broke two studs, in the rear hub and the front steering knuckle. Bought two studs from local stealer.

3. Did not install the front diff gasket correctly so it started to leak. Had to tear everything back down and reinstall a new gasket.

4. Installed one of the solenoids backwards. Removed it and corrected it.

Alot of work but very fullfilling experience. I learned alot and my confidence level shot through the roof. Well I was doing this job we did a rear axle job, and a full birth job. Saved a total of $1349 in shop cost. :grinpimp:

So what do you guys think?

I know my boy is excited he is already trying to get ideas on how to use these lockers.
5l9j6a

and before anybody says anything about my posting skills, yes I learned from my last try.

Last edited:
Awesome Victor! Last pic and caption is the best! Congrats on all the work. Rear Hanna bumper looks great too!

Awesome pics. :cheers:

Awesome post. :cheers:

Congrats on the entire install very clean. You'll love those ARB's. :D

Nice!!

Any rough time estimates on the R&R for the third members?

Charlie

Thanks guys.

CharlieS said:
Nice!!

Any rough time estimates on the R&R for the third members?

Charlie

I was charged $175 each pumpkin to install the locker and gears.

Looks pretty sharp!

A little more thorough write-up on what all you had to do, and some dollar figures would be great. Is it ARB?? Can you use the compressor for on board air?

:beer:
Rookie2

Rookie2 said:
Looks pretty sharp!

A little more thorough write-up on what all you had to do, and some dollar figures would be great. Is it ARB?? Can you use the compressor for on board air?

Rookie2

You're right, I just got lazy on the details.

HI Biff,

Sorry, what I meant was how much time did it take you to remove and replace the third members? Did it take a couple of hours to remove and a couple of hours to assemble?

Good info though on the price. Sounds like a good deal on the cost to have the ARBs installed into them. Our local 4x4 shop told me it takes several tries to get the shims right, so plan on several hours of shop time.

I don't mind removeing the 3rd members myself, just trying to consider what time is involved for when I get around to it. I assume you need to take the axles out as if you were doing axle service to remove the diff housings.

Charlie

CharlieS said:
HI Biff,

Sorry, what I meant was how much time did it take you to remove and replace the third members? Did it take a couple of hours to remove and a couple of hours to assemble?

Good info though on the price. Sounds like a good deal on the cost to have the ARBs installed into them. Our local 4x4 shop told me it takes several tries to get the shims right, so plan on several hours of shop time.

I don't mind removeing the 3rd members myself, just trying to consider what time is involved for when I get around to it. I assume you need to take the axles out as if you were doing axle service to remove the diff housings.

Charlie

Well considering I'm a novice, it took me and Robert(Skim) about six hours for both front and rear, and about three to four hours to reinstall since we ran into a few problems. Plus we did a full rear axle service, a birth job, installed new brakes, and new rotors.

Great Vic! Let's hit some trails and break those lockers in, you are unstoppable now!

FirstToy said:
Great Vic! Let's hit some trails and break those lockers in, you are unstoppable now!

Yes, been wanting to try these out. Let me know when you're free.

Last edited:
Rookie2 said:
Looks pretty sharp!

Rookie2

Yes its definately ARB. You can use the compressor for on-board air if you have alot of patience and plan on replacing it cause its not stout enough for the job in question. Something like .25 cfm if memory serves.

Yes, nice write-up. Could you post everything you had to purchase to make this work, excluding the ARB lockers/air compressor/airline? Just curious cause i'm stuffing my pumpkings with ARBs some time in teh future.

Sure this is the list

Two ARB lockers $700 each
One ARB compressor $200
One heavy duty ARB line $40
Front and rear 4:56 gears $410 for both
Six litters of gear oil $5 each
four tubes of greese $3.50
Lots of brake cleaner
Lots of paper towels
Full bearing replacement,gaskets and seals from Dan ofcourse, I think $140 maybe more can't remember exact #.
Since I was in the front axles I did a full birth job, $80 for stuff I didn't already have.
Slee manifold and compressor mount (see website)

This is most of the stuff. I'll add more if I remember. Send me a PM if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Great write up Biff.
You mentioned purchasing tools. Were these specific for installing the lockers or general tools?

Buck

Buckru said:
Great write up Biff.
You mentioned purchasing tools. Were these specific for installing the lockers or general tools?

Buck

Nothing specific for the installation of the lockers, most of the stuff you can use on other P.M. items. Such as the brass hammer to pound on the hubs in order to open them, brass drifts, seal puller, pitman arm puller, and the screw out made by Sears just in case you break a stud like I did.

Thanks Biff. Now i know how much ching to save up. Did you mean $410 per gear or for both?

Thanks,

Alex

concretejungle said:
Thanks Biff. Now i know how much ching to save up. Did you mean $410 per gear or for both?

Thanks,

Alex

No problem. $410 for both

Biff, Thanks for the pic's and update on your install. Wish it was all on DVD for us awaiting this project. Your truck is looking really sharp! Great job!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom