front and rear diff drain bolts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok so I have spent almost a total of about $90 getting supplies to drain and refill from and rear differentials and T-Case with new fluids. Only thing is the drain bolts will NOT release. I have tried using just a ratchet/socket and even using a hammer and hitting the end of the ratchet/socket. I looked up the torque spec and it states 36 ft lbs...I should be able to loosen that...WTF? don't want to strip or round off the bolt head and tips or hints would be appreciated.

:bang:

oh and whats with a 15/16ths socket being closer to the bolt then a 24mm ... standard a better fit? thought only american car were standard? 24 mm was loose and 23mm wouldn't go on..do they make a 23.5mm socket?

First, make sure you break loose the fill bolts before attempting the drain bolts. You'll be in big trouble if you drain them first and then can't get into the fill plugs.

Mine wouldn't come loose with hand tools either without wanting to round the bolts. Hitting with an impact wrench seemed to do the trick.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Just took mine off the other day and was a ***** also. Don't know if it was because I was laying on my back and just couldn't get leverage or what...put a breaker bar over the ratchet and it came right off.

First of all get a six point 15/16 socket which fits those nuts perfectly.

Second, use a cheater on your ratchet for extra leverage, and while your cranking on those nuts make sure your socket is seated on the nut fully.

When your done draining and refilling torque as follows:

1) Differential 36 ft pounds

2) Transfer case 27 ft pounds

Don't forget to use new crush washers on at least the drain plugs.

Ditto on the NEW crush washers. Aluminum for the transfer case and steel for the diffs and transmission ONLY!

Maybe just strike the drain plug with a hammer to jar it and if you end up rounding it you can weld a nut to the plug and use that.

15/16 seemed loose on mine. The 24mm fit much better. I suggest I breaker bar and making sure the fill plugs come loose first is a good idea

Problem is that the last guy didn't replace the gaskets and now they're stuck. Use new Toyota drain gaskets and this won't happen again.

FYI if you're cheep like me you can use aluminum gaskets for the fill plugs, and reuse these over and over again. But use new drain gaskets each and every time.

Another thing to try, is when you have your correct socket and breaker bar all set up and on the drain plug, is to hit the end of your breaker bar with a hammer. The impact will often times loosen a tight bolt. Don't do this on small bolts that could shear, but the drain plugs aren't an issue with that.

HTH

???

15/16 is smaller than 24mm. 15/16 = 23.8125mm

Yes, 15/16 inch will work specially if it is a SIX point socket. Ask me how I know:cheers:

$90 huh? May I ask what brand of fluid you used? I've never done this before and would like to know how much I need to spend?

It's a 24MM socket. Get a short six point 1/2" drive socket and use a good breaker bar. Long sockets don't work good for those nuts. If you got air - hit it with an impact and they will come out instantly.

Maybe just strike the drain plug with a hammer to jar it ...

X2, hammering on them additionally crushes the washer, effectively loosening the plug.

Do yourself another favor. Go get new bolts. Look for this PN from your favorite OEM supplier:

90341-18057

It's a 10mm hex-head bolt with a magnetic core. These are SO much better and easier to work with - I believe they're from newer Tundras or something. I have them on all my diff plugs now.

Do yourself another favor. Go get new bolts. Look for this PN from your favorite OEM supplier:

90341-18057

It's a 10mm hex-head bolt with a magnetic core. These are SO much better and easier to work with - I believe they're from newer Tundras or something. I have them on all my diff plugs now.

Agreed. I put those on my 55 and loved them.

90341-18057

They are used on lots of Toyotas, including Camry. I don't like them, when the allen hole gets jammed full of rock it is a pain to remove.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom