Front AHC shock replacement procedure? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Done, links in this thread.
Awesome, thank you. This is awesome.

That difference in bushing size is pretty nuts. I really need to do this!

To do the front top lock nut, you don't need a strap wrench or antyhing since the top cushion retainer has a locater in it to prevent twisting with the oval-shaped hole and flat sides that hold the shock shaft for you (at least my 06 does).

You can see them in this video at the 3:57 minute mark above post-sandblaster.

To do the front top lock nut, you don't need a strap wrench or antyhing since the top cushion retainer has a locater in it to prevent twisting with the oval-shaped hole and flat sides that hold the shock shaft for you (at least my 06 does).

You can see them in this video at the 3:57 minute mark above post-sandblaster.
Yes to a locating tab, but no to holding the shaft in place. The plate with the locating pic has a round bore, unlike the flat sided shaft.

The tab is to keep the plates, and oval shaped bushing oriented properly, not hold the shaft.

So, strap still required.

030F2E76-808D-4D7C-A2EE-2A841765EB01.jpeg

I got lucky on mine then!

Great to have all the tools :)

Great to have all the tools :)
that is cabinet #2, and has been heavily modified from delivery, cabinet #3 will be a pressure delivery for sure! The oven, and spray booth are all hand made. The press is factory, but we have made a bunch of press dies and alignment plates.

Myself, garage.

Here’s vid

@harshjay Did you notice a difference in the ride? Everyone on here keeps saying the ride quality is more a globe function and not the shocks . How is your ride quality different now? Very curious to know

@harshjay Did you notice a difference in the ride? Everyone on here keeps saying the ride quality is more a globe function and not the shocks . How is your ride quality different now? Very curious to know
absolutely. the bottoming / clanking is gone. Also, the squish is reduced, so my wheel doesn't kiss the fender anymore! Quieter within cabin as well having some more rubber damping, vs the hockey pucks I pulled out!

I have a bad suspension squeak that I'm 99% sure if coming from the FR shock. I took it to a local mechanic and he said that's definitely what it is. I relayed to him the conventional wisdom of the forum that these "shocks" are lifetime parts, but he didn't buy it and is convinced the squeak is coming from the shock. I've replaced all (and I mean all) front end suspension components within the last 3 years, except for the shocks (I did the shock bushings, too). There is no external rust on the shocks.

$500 for two OEM shocks from ebay. Quite steep. Has anyone had an issue like this? Not a thud, just a bad squeak. (New globes done within the past year FWIW)

While you had all the front suspension components replaced, were all the nuts and bolts torqued on a lift or on the ground? Don’t know if torquing with wheels in the air would cause this issue, but just a random thought.

While you had all the front suspension components replaced, were all the nuts and bolts torqued on a lift or on the ground? Don’t know if torquing with wheels in the air would cause this issue, but just a random thought.
I'm installing a diff drop and some new suspension stuff in a couple of weeks, so I'll retorque them at that time. When I initially did it I think I somewhat tightened in air then torqued on ground. I tried to follow the forum guides as much as possible. Worth a try!

Maybe the diff drop and other new components will solve my issue. Fingers crossed. Oversized wheels and AHC lift has done quite a number on relatively new suspension components. Should've gone with the diff drop straight away. Plus I did the bushings/ball joints individually rather than new UCAs/LCAs to save $$, and I think that's biting me now. It was such a brutal, wear-inducing process pressing in the new parts that I think buying the UCA/LCA assemblies is probably much wiser.

Thank you so much! my LX rides really smooth. But....When going over cracks in the road or slight bumps, I hear a thud which should be more muffled given how smooth the ride is. There is no "bouncing" when going over bumps. I already replaced the links. I figured maybe the bushings in the front shocks could be the culprit. Thanks for the FSM link!!
I'm down a rabbit hole trying to figure out the source of a clank/rattle. How significant was the thud you heard before you replaced the bushings? I thought my issue was with the control arm bushings, but they seem okay. The latest thought is an issue with the "shock absorbers." Indeed I can feel a click/clunk when I have my hand on the "shock" and my truck bounces up and down (on a lift). I couldn't tell if it's a bushing issues or an internal issue. This is driving me nuts. Thanks.

Myself, garage.

Here’s vid

@harshjay , thank you for the video showing the procedures. I'm doing the same thing but having trouble to get a right size of adapter to press the old bushing out. What did you use? I'm using the C clamp style of ball joint press loaned from Autozone for this job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom