From Poverty Packin to Betty White: 1992 HZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks like I missed the air intake side. I did reinstall the intake with new gaskets. The fuel lines went in after that.

1605589590440.png

1605589605363.png

Betty is gonna rip!

So far so good. I paired it with a Victron solar controller and a 100W panel. Works great.

1606165630284.png

Quick update. @bottombracket and I were able to finally purge all of the air out of the injection pump and injectors and got her fired up! I swear I tried all the tricks (remove glow plugs, crack injectors) until the battery died and had to recharge it. It's done and I can move forward.

Since I needed gauges for EGT's, water temp, and boost, I made this retro gauge panel. I used some cool old school toggle switch guards that I found on eBay.

1607895168352.png

1607895194125.png

That looks awesome. Have you taken her for a spin yet?

What no stereo system? How are you going to listen to your Katy Perry collection? :flipoff2:

Oh, forgot to mention the center console. I really wanted a 10 inch wide Tuffy, but they are out of stock until March. So, I picked up a cheap $85 Smittybilt with the stereo slot. I'm going to get that installed soon.

Here's a pic of the console. @bottombracket still has some of the Kevlar cloth from the door cards so the plan is to cover the pad to match.

As you can see, the cupholder metal gets in the way and will be removed so I can slide it up more. I might 3D print a cupholder. We'll see.

1607914092032.png

Latest update!

Before the Christmas break, I was able to finish up the exhaust (3" pipe with a 3030XL Aero muffler).

1610488666144.png

I was hoping to drive this around during the Christmas break, but couldn't because something was wrong. It wouldn't build up boost and it sounded like crap!! I decided to leave it be while we were in south Texas with my mother-in-law. I really bugged the hell out of me thinking that I might have screwed up the crank bearings or something. Well, upon further inspection and some help from @aljollano we were able to find some exhaust and boost leaks due to me just forgetting to tighten things down. It still wouldn't boost right and still sounded like crap (but slightly better). Turns out the exhaust manifold I bought had a hole that I didn't see due to me putting the exhaust manifold shield back on. Man, don't you love easy crap like that!

1610488964369.png

I also finished the mounting bracket for the center console. I will be 3D printing some custom cup holders this week and integrating them in the front of the console.

1610489417128.png

1610489439939.png

Some observation on the turbo and overall performance:
  • Can boost to 20 psi easily.
  • EGT's never go over 1000F. Mostly stay 800-900F.
  • Can cruiser 65-75 with 8-10 psi of boost.
  • Seems fast, but not as fast at take off as Crusty, my old FJ60 with the turbo'd 1HZ. I think it might be due to the 80 being heavier and the 4.10 gears (Crusty had 3.7x's).
  • Overall, I'm really happy with the turbo. It was economical especially considering it was brand new.

Oh, this also limited performance. Damn padding and the vinyl carpet limited travel. The dang truck is so much nicer to drive on the road now!

1610489772521.png

@davegonz spoon feed me on the boost compensator, would you?
GT, it's to adjust the fuel flow at different boost levels. The 1HZ doesn't come with one normally. If you turbo it, it's a good idea to add the boost compensator. Pretty easy to do.

GT, it's to adjust the fuel flow at different boost levels. The 1HZ doesn't come with one normally. If you turbo it, it's a good idea to add the boost compensator. Pretty easy to do.
Ah. I assume a factory turbo has one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom