From Land Cruiser to Pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all!
I’ve lurked on the 80 series Land Cruiser sight for a few years, but I believe I may end up in a 89 pickup. My Cruiser was a3FE, and the 2 trucks I’m looking at have the 22R motor, in which I know NOTHING about! Anything I need to be looking for? What are the aftermarket options on rear lunch box lockers?ANY advice you could give I would appreciate very much! The truck (1989) has 22R and tranny from a 1992 in it. Single cab on 31’s in stock rims.... do 33’s fit stick w/o hacking it up? Thank you! Marine07

Pretty sure the truck has the 22re in it. Fuel injected and computer controlled. Not the carbureted version. Pop the valve cover and look down the front cover. Check for grooves in the chain guides. How many ks miles are on truck and engine? I have roughly 32.5s on my 1990. No hacking, but 3 inch lift from the OME heavy springs. Wheels are from a 2014 Tacoma. Tires can rub slightly on frame at full lock. No hacking of fenders has been done.

Pretty sure the truck has the 22re in it. Fuel injected and computer controlled. Not the carbureted version. Pop the valve cover and look down the front cover. Check for grooves in the chain guides. How many ks miles are on truck and engine? I have roughly 32.5s on my 1990. No hacking, but 3 inch lift from the OME heavy springs. Wheels are from a 2014 Tacoma. Tires can rub slightly on frame at full lock. No hacking of fenders has been done.

Thank you much! So, I’m assuming the the 22re gas timing chain? I was spoiled by the 3FE in the sense that it had no chance of breaking a chain or belt, seeing as how the timing is gear driven on them beasts!
Do you have a part # for your springs, and did you have to use any camber correction plates or anything? I haven’t even laid “eyes on” the truck, but I’m assuming coils in front, leafs in rear? Thanks again!

The chassis is 1989, but the driveline and engine are from a 91. Engine and driveline SUPPOSEDLY have 75000, chassis has 174000. That’s why I was wondering if there were anything’s I could check for to eliminate “red flags”. Thanks!

nice. any pics yet?

im also here from the cruiser side of the world, but the 45 section in particular. also got an 89, but mine is JDM spec with the infamous 2L-T :D

As the owner of both a 22RE, and a 2FE (3FE head/EFI + 2F block) I can say there is nothing to fear. The EFI systems are identical (same components, mostly different part numbers). About the only difference is the 22RE has a knock sensor, where the 3FE does not. Plus, the 22re does not have a smog pump, and simpler EGR.

This all assumes you really don't have a carburetor.

Last edited:
As the owner of both a 22RE, and a 2FE (3FE head/EFI + 2F block) I can say there is nothing to fear. The EFI systems are identical (same components, mostly different part numbers). About the only difference is the 22RE has a knock sensor, where the 3FE does not. Plus, the 22FE does not have a smog pump, and simpler EGR.

This all assumes you really don't have a carburetor.

Wow, so it sounds like the 22re IS what I’ve been converting my 3FE FROM...... no smog pump, egr delete.

22RE does have EGR. I just seem to recall it's a simpler design. Same bits, but with fewer vacuum and tubing.

It is possible for that late of a truck to have a carb. I'd have look before getting too excited. The engine that I rebuilt for my '84 was a carb'd short deck "Lightning" block from a '92 as I recall (it has been over a decade ago).

I believe the last year the 22R carbureted engine for 4WD Trucks was 1987. The 2WD trucks kept the 22R carbureted engine for the base models a few more years (1990 ish).

The front suspension is torsion bar.

I believe the last year the 22R carbureted engine for 4WD Trucks was 1987. The 2WD trucks kept the 22R carbureted engine for the base models a few more years (1990 ish).

I think I posted this awhile back. For the USA, the 4WD trucks had a carburetor through the 1988 model year. The 2WD trucks had a carburetor through the 1994 models, and some early 1995 trucks. Of course we know the 4Runner only had a carb in 1984.

2WD Models.jpg

4WD Models.jpg

Cool chart!

It is interesting that it says the 22R was available up to 1995. I don't think I have seen one past the 1990 or 1991 model year.

The chassis is 1989, but the driveline and engine are from a 91. Engine and driveline SUPPOSEDLY have 75000, chassis has 174000. That’s why I was wondering if there were anything’s I could check for to eliminate “red flags”. Thanks!
The fact that the chassis and engine are mismatched IS a red flag to me unless you know the person and their mechanical skills. If you really want a truck, take your time to find a good one, they're out there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom