From FJC to 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm 6'3" and have never found the leg room or head room in my 80 to be an issue, even on long trips. I do not have Land Tank's seat mod but I did take out that little foot rest.

Removing the footrest does make it (legroom) feel a whole lot roomier. That's the way I had it before I got the Husky mats. But the Husky mats has those preformed footrests there, so I just put them back in.

Maybe I should take the foot rest out. A little extra room sounds good. Though as is the 80 is one of the largest headroom vehicles I've driven and the rear view mirror is still above my eye line at 6'5".

That damn cup holder still irks me though

I like this thread of new 80 converts :)

Yea, they are. It gives me enough to get the 80 going and that's all I care about! :D

I've not worked on the front end of an FJC but it looks painful. I may just be wrong. I have rebuilt dozens of 40-60-80 axles and so that is familiar ground and fairly easy to service. It's nice that the front and rear bearings are the same, so that 1 set of bearings can serve at all 4 corners, and thus an easy spare.

I in no way meant to imply that I don't like FJ Cruisers. I do, and am sort of looking for one for my daughter when she returns from her semester abroad next summer. It's that or a Rav4.

Servicing a rear wheel bearing on 100s and I assume FJCs requires a press and a special sealed bearing, that is not in everyone's spares kit.

No, that's accurate. The 80 is a breeze to work on compared to the 120 platform IFS. That is not a slam on the FJC, it's the nature of IFS. The Toyota IFS is long travel and well made though.

Everything on the 80 is like, 20-30% larger than anything on a new truck. Everything is pretty easy to get to and rebuildable. All that durability costs weight and gas but I still get great range.

Consider a V8 4Runner? Same platform as the FJC, except the 100 Series V8 and 5spd tranny. It's got 4 real doors and all the latest safety doodads.

I like the FJC, it's got a cool look to it. If you really like it, don't know if kids complaining would make me change it... then again, I don't have kids so...
Also, the FJC won't be made much longer so it might be worth holding on to.

FJC is gone, anyone know where I can buy a few dozen cotton candy machines? I got a hole burning in my pocket. :hillbilly:

I have 2 candy machines, one you might be interested in. Did i mention they come with a big box that says "TRD" on it.

My schedule is pretty flexible this weekend, just let me know when you want to come by.

good luck, I think you will love your 80, as others have mentioned they are slow but reliable, my daughter loves the fact that she can see everything from the back seat. The even walks up and gives "tank" a kiss every so often. gotta love that.

Noah

I took my time and looked at a lot of these and finally got my own. Originally I was going to go stock and build it up but with what people are selling already built it's not a financially good decision (even factoring in full engine replacements, axles etc).

I drove it home this weekend and I love it. Wife and kids like it more than the FLC too so now I need to do a few things and get out someplace.

:D
20074_468395190093_769000093_10892641_5535935_n.jpg

Nice pick up!

Awesome, another LX450. Let's see some more pics. :cheers:

More info please!

Very nice! Glad you finally found one. Being patient payed off.

Smart move in my opinion going with one that was already PM'ed and built.

Look at you with the blinging chrome wheels. I have since switched to some scuffed up not chromes but if you have the clamp on wheel weights you will throw those quite often.

So what year? Is she locked? How many miles? What bumper is that on the back? What are the immediate plans? I could proably come up with 5 more questions but I will cut you some slack.

OH and WELC:flipoff2:ME to the 80 Series.

Last edited:
Yea, chrome... not high on the list of priorities. It has tape weights so no problem there.

It's a 1997, factory locked with 144,000 on the odo. The bumper is a home brew by the PO, it's very nice.

My imediate plans are to leave it alone, live with it, get to know it and then figure out what I need to do to suit my needs. :steer:

Smart move in my opinion going with one that was already PM'ed and built.

Look at you with the blinging chrome wheels. I have since switched to some scuffed up not chromes but if you have the clamp on wheel weights you will throw those quite often.

So what year? Is she locked? How many miles? What bumper is that on the back? What are the immediate plans? I could proably come up with 5 more questions but I will cut you some slack. :cheers:

OH and WELC:flipoff2:ME to the 80 Series.

You got a really nice truck and Ken is a good dude who took great care of it. Congrats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom