From a 1995 LC to a 2000 LC or newer? Will I regret it? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased a 95 LC in great shape one owner with original window sticker and paper work. Alabama rare find with no rust and absolutely original but needs a/c compressor and after today in this Alabama heat with no a/c I can upgrade to a 2000 LC for same price I paid for 95.
$5,000.
Will I regret letting go of my 95 Land Cruiser for the 2000 Land Cruiser with cold air and V8 301,000 miles?

Non of us are you but id buy an a/c compressor. Or plan to trade the 100 for a honda when something breaks on the 100 :meh:

How many miles on the 80?

Great shape 95 seems a good hunt
If it was me i will put a brand new denso compressor. My 97 got 400000km with no problems. But remember its your choice to make

Yes you will regret it. 100 series are nice but not an 80. I did the same thing. Sold my 80 and bought a 100 and less than a year later I was back in an 80. Also the cost of a new compressor is probably less than the timing belt and water pump replacement that is due on the 100.

Timing belt, water pump, etc. Brake Booster / MC apparatus. Power steering flush. AC. Steering rack, CV's. Yea, I'd stick with the 80. The V8 is GREAT, don't get me wrong, you'll love that. You'll miss solid front axle. Seats are actually more comfortable (to me) in the 80. People like 80's, they will look, stare, ask if it's a jeep, etc. A 100 series is just another SUV on the road. YMMV

The only way I can sum it up, the 100 is great, but it's not an 80.

My 80 is showing 216,000 but the odometer don't work and been a problem since way back with original owner. To me it looks and drives like only a 50,000 miles. I'm concerned about the timing belt on mine too. Thanks everyone as I just wake to enjoy a nother beautiful day. Ya'll do the same.

You bought a very desirable 80 which is getting harder to find every day.

Now you want to throw in the towel over an AC compressor failure ?

That's like getting rid of your wife because she needs a bit of expensive dental work. You search around and find the best one for you and then you commit to it and not just throw up your hands and walk away at the first sign of trouble.

EDITED TO ADD: after reading your last post. Your 80 does not have a timing belt. It has a chain. Put that worry out of your mind.

What he said ^

You're like my daughter. "OMG, my car needs an alternator, time to dump it!"

My 80 is showing 216,000 but the odometer don't work and been a problem since way back with original owner. To me it looks and drives like only a 50,000 miles. I'm concerned about the timing belt on mine too. Thanks everyone as I just wake to enjoy a nother beautiful day. Ya'll do the same.
Timing chain. I’m sure they go bad but that’s not something I’ve ever seen. Concern of timing chain leaving you stranded in an 80 = ZER0

That's like getting rid of your wife because she needs a bit of expensive dental work. You search around and find the best one for you and then you commit to it and not just throw up your hands and walk away at the first sign of trouble.
Are we talking a root canal or braces? JK, great analogy.

You bought a very desirable 80 which is getting harder to find every day.

Now you want to throw in the towel over an AC compressor failure ?

EDITED TO ADD: after reading your last post. Your 80 does not have a timing belt. It has a chain. Put that worry out of your mind.
LOL:rofl:

To me the big question is "What do you use your 80 for?".

I concur with this. I own both but prefer the 80 'generally'. I'd disagree with Musthave on the seats; 100 series is hands down a more comfortable vehicle especially if you are a large person. 100 series is a better highway road tripper with larger interior and the V8. 80 series is a better off road platform IMO, more enjoyable to work on, and without a doubt more cool. At the end of the day, when I see both in the driveway I end up jumping in the 80. I don't think you can go wrong with either. They will need parts now and again but will serve you better than most anything out there.

For that type of money, just own both. $5000 is chicken feed these days as far as how far it gets you in the used car market. That way, you have a back up truck to use when the other one needs work. I love the two car system.

Plus, the AC compressor is not a hard job. You will need to be able to pull a vacuum after you open the system, but AutoZone has all the tools you need to get the job done as part of their free rental program.

I've had multiple 80's - a sc'ed 100 and fully built 200..... and I love my current 97' 80 the most of them all..... triple locked and clean with a HG pending likely but until then it's just fun to drive.... the 100 to me was nicer inside but rode like a 4runner ....albeit a fairly fast one with the sc'er, headers and cat-back.... the 200 is a lot more like the 80 in feel, but it's bigger feeling in every way with less room inside it seemed.

I'd do the AC and build the 80 ...... but if you're just shuffling to the mall......maybe the 100 might be sensible. not srue on relaiblity of that motor at the higher extremes however and there's a lot more electrical to become and issue...

Are you just look for a DD or a rig to take offroad occasionally ?

For that type of money, just own both. $5000 is chicken feed these days as far as how far it gets you in the used car market
For Cruisers, this is more like the down payment...

For Cruisers, this is more like the down payment...
Usually, yes, but if you don't have the money to keep one going, buying another one isn't likely to solve that problem.

That said, the whole game changes if you suck it up and do the work yourself. It can still be a lot of money and it will be a lot of time, but you don't have a car payment, which is also a much better situation. The nice thing about these trucks is that they don't usually completely poop the bed all at once and as long as you schedule your baselining and procure parts and supplies before you tear into component groups, it's not that hard to keep these on the road. I think the longest period of time that my 80 was down for service was three weeks and that was because one of the major tools needed at the machine shop to rebuild the head broke and I had to wait while that got fixed. I just did a bunch of other stuff while I was waiting and I always had the little Taco to get around in.

I drove my 80 for two years without AC before I finally fixed iit.
$200 denso compressor
$6 ebay expansion port
$10 ebay dryer
$50 R134 and misc
I borrowed a vacuum and manifold gauge set from a friend and did all the work myself. It's not hard and definitely worth it.

+1 for: get them both. My 80 is awesome, it is for running around and having fun and going to the Crawls. I admit it's not as comfortable as the 100 but it's pretty doggone awesome. Plus, I 'm not afraid to stretch my comfort level when working on the thing.

My 100 is awesome, it is going to be my daily driver, there is no beating the comfort and power and on-road manners.

You need both of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom