Builds Frog's FJ159 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A10Driver

SILVER Star
Threads
So I have decided to finally post up my project. I have been gathering parts for a while, and am finally getting to the fun part of putting them all together. I bought a FJ40 4 years ago, and after a lot of work decided to totally change direction. I bought a rusted out fj60, parted it out and kept the frame. This will be the base for the project. I acquired a 95 Cummins 4x4, parted it out for the engine and NV 4500. After parting it out I had enough money to purchase a Ford Dana 60 high pinion kingpin pin for front axle, and 14 bolt military axle with 456 gears and Detroit locker. Much to the wife's joy I have finally stopped parting out vehicles in our garage and am finally getting to the build

IMG_20161218_130624640_HDR.jpg

This is going to be awesome when you're done!

Glad to see I'm not the only one repurposing flight suits to the garage.

Looks like it's going to be stout!

What are your plans for the body?

The overall plan and theme for the project will be to keep it simple and basically build my version of a bullet proof land cruiser. I have always wanted a diesel, Toyota engine was just to difficult to source and getting parts scared me off. So I chose the next best thing, a ppump Cummins. The gearbox will be the stock nv4500. Transfer case is going to be an atlas 2 that Jess (high angle drive line) is building with his parking brake system. One ton axles, 14 bolt in rear with dually hubs and disk brakes. 63 inches wide. Front Dana 60 was narrowed and came out to 62 and 1/4 inches wide. Both axles have 456 gears and Detroit lockers. I may have to run spacers in front depending on tire size. I did a shackle reversal in front. Right now I am cleaning up engine, doing basic seals, new clutch and then going to build mounts.

You have a springover and what looks to be lift springs. How big are you planning on making this truck?

You have a springover and what looks to be lift springs. How big are you planning on making this truck?
Planning on 37-39 inch tires, planning on the 1000 pounds to bring the front down an inch or two

You can likely clear 44" tires ;)

I know the motor weighs a bunch, but She'll be big. Not being critical, just making an observation.

Good looking work so far!

You can likely clear 44" tires ;)

I know the motor weighs a bunch, but She'll be big. Not being critical, just making an observation.

Good looking work so far!
Thanks.
Will have to look at it once I get the weight on it. Might put shackle sleeves thru the frame, or get different springs.

IMHO, right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom