Fridge Help: National Luna or Engel (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking at fridges and wondering if anyone has direct experience with the national Lunas and the Engels. Can’t get my hands on the NL, which is taller rather than wider like the Engel. Can’t find too much on the “new” NL compressor either. Have seen reports of the NL rattling from bumps. Valid?

Price doesn’t come into the equation as at this price point they are close enough to each other. Planning on a second battery and also have solar. Less draw is better, but from what I’ve seen they are close in actual consumption. Would be looking at the 60 dual for NL and the 64 for the Engel.

Last edited:
Iceco and save a bunch of cash 🤷🏻‍♂️
At that point, for a 50% increase I'm getting something I'd trust more. For bigger ticket items I prefer to go with the tried and true, unless the newer/less expensive ones come in at a price point that if it doesn't work out I don't care. $800 for the Iceco is still not "cheap". I splurge on the big tickets and find other ways to cut costs on builds.

Looking at fridges and wondering if anyone has direct experience with the national Lunas and the Engels. Can’t get my hands on the NL, which is taller rather than wider like the Engel. Can’t find too much on the “new” NL compressor either. Have seen reports of the NL rattling from bumps. Valid?

Price doesn’t come into the equation as at this price point they are close enough to each other. Planning on a second battery and also have solar. Less draw is better, but from what I’ve seen they are close in actual consumption. Would be looking at the 60 dual for NL and the 64 for the Engel.

I had an engel years ago and it worked perfectly. Used it for traveling and carrying frozen goods. Was a real treat to pull ice cream out for the kids after a 6 hour grind on the road. I am not familiar with the Luna product.

Good luck!

We’ve had the National Luna for almost a year. It is the 55L single zone fridge.
It had been great up until the last few trips. Turns out one of the cooling fan blades broke and set the whole fan out of balance. Im not sure how that happens but the fridge still worked. It was just noisy as all get out.
I contacted Equipt and explained the situation. Not only did they take my call and help me get to the bottom of the issue, they expedited a replacement fan.
It took a little mechanical work on my part, BUT, and this is huge in my book, the fridge is serviceable. The power units, fan, etc. I don’t have any experience with other fridges but don’t think they are made to take apart and service like the NL.
Check with Equipt1 and see if they have what you are looking for.

I’ve had a NL 50 Weekender for 7-8 yrs. It’s low draw, and proven to me. They are serviceable
and having Equipt as dealer seems to be working. I’ve not got any issues with mine. The only
time I hear that ‘rattle’ is when I’m physically moving it around. I never hear it in the truck and the
fan noise is low enough to not have any impact on my ability to fall asleep with it right at my feet.
I sleep in the back of the 60. It’s at the back mounted to the floor.

Will add to positive experience with NL 50 weekender. I wanted the best when I bought mine 10 yrs ago and it's still battery friendly & maintenance free. Can't get very excited about new upstarts and raves about "saving bocu cash" - that guinea pig feeling. Experience is the best teacher. Research, patience and go with your gut. The solid ones have earned their reputation. Have heard good things on the Engle brand, but have no 1st hand with them.

Last edited:
One other thing to think about - mounting. I invested in the mounting plate that was available with NL at the time. Not sure if it's still available for all models, but with the plate, you don't have to "tie it down" with bungie cords or ratchet straps. If you have the place in your rig that's reserved for a fridge, the plate makes sense. If the fridge is carried "wherever it fits", maybe bungie cords are the way to go. But one thing's for sure - that fridge needs to be secure for off road travel!

Appreciate all the responses. As a shorter person my only other concern is how tall the fridge is, but I guess that’s what the tailgate is for.

a slide made all the difference, now I can get right next to it and seeing/reaching stuff isn't an issue. IMO Engel, verify the voltage cut off is working, I run mine on the lowest setting and it cuts off with plenty of juice to start the motor. With 45 watts of solar and 2 batteries it can sit for a couple days easy maybe 4 without starting motor

I’ve been running an Engel 45 for 15 years. It’s been flawless. My only complaint is the cooling plate being exposed inside the fridge. Cleaning behind it is a pain in the ass if you spill something which happens more often than you’d think.

I’m going to order a NL 60 shortly as I need more space with a teenager now. Also like the option of ice.

Either fridge will serve you well. If one will give you better access due to dimensions I’d probably go that direction. And the protection cover is worth the investment. In my experience it will give you an extra day of power due to the extra insulation. Probably more from preventing the sun from hitting the fridge directly.

I’ve only ever had a single group 31 battery. Never killed it in the field from running a fridge. If you have solar a dual battery is probably not worth the added expense unless you’re running lots of other things or need plan to stay in one spot for a long time.

I’ve got the ARB version of the Engel. Mechanical knob, steel sides, inside basket. It’s an absolute tank. Not too tall.
42309065-1B8A-43EB-A324-3D8E3D10EB8D.jpeg

I took delivery of a NL 50L dual last August, and I'm on my first real trip with it right now. I don't hear any rattling*. The thing is really built well, and having the separate freezer has been useful. Mine is mounted on the floor behind the drivers seat on the plate. This lets me open the lid and lift out the baskets which have been really great for moving stuff from the fridge to where we're staying.

* Edit: the latches rattle if you leave them unlatched while driving, which the GF seems to always do, so she can reach in while we're under way.

Having a fridge like this is a total game changer for travel. No schlepping for ice, no draining stinky water, no soggy food.

Last edited:
I have both.

I've been using Engels for a good 15 years now. The first one I got I still use the most (40L). Used it in extreme corrugations here in Saudi Arabia and extreme heat. Never skipped a beat. 0 maintenance. It's banged up and abused. It doesn't care and thats why I purchased different sizes of it.

I've used NL recently. I like the aesthetic. They are offered in weird shapes compared to the common sizes in the market. But I think that's part of the appeal.

I don't like the latches on the National Luna. The tabs they latch on to can easily bend out of shape making the seal loose.

One of the things I like about national luna is the dual compressor setup. I like how you can set each area in the fridge/freezer to an exact temp. The engel doesn't have this feature.

I can't see the temp in my engel, it's one of those old ones without a display. So that's a con that has been fixed in the newer models.

Honestly, either way you go, you will not be disappointed. And 100% agree on quality gear. Buy it once and forget it. You won't find ironman or any junk gear in or on my vehicles. I learned this the hardway.

Appreciate all the feedback. Decision was made when a NL60 was found barely used for nearly half price. Used it this last week and it was awesome. No ice except for cocktails.

I've had my NL Dual60 now for a while. I like it over my Engel for all the reasons above. Was disappointed in the NL cover though. It's just a canvas cover unlike the Engel cover that is a full thermal blanket. Engel wins that category by a large margin.
Funny, I came with the cover and after one look it is in the discard pile. It serves no purpose except to annoy me when opening it. Kept food frozen for 4 days on the desert so can complain. Took about 30% of he battery though I had a solar charger if I needed to. Feel with the solar and m window shades which show up soon I can last as long as I want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom