Friday rambling, finding the root of one problem led me to solving seveal smaller problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
In chasing the cause of my A/C twice blowing out the pressure relief valve on the dryer, I ended up discovering that my system had too much oil in it. Also discovered a damaged fitting on the condenser so that got replaced, replaced the expansion valve and pressure switch because they're cheap and I had the system opened up already, and replaced all the O-rings. As I was servicing it up yesterday I saw the high side pressure continue to climb up past 300 PSI before I shut off the A/C and let it equalize back down and cool off. When I switched it on again to watch the gauges I noticed that my radiator fan wasn't coming on and cooling the condenser (which will cause excessive head pressure in the system that I witnessed earlier). So I had to dig around in the wiring behind my dash for the fan's cutoff switch, indicator light and the A/C control circuit (which ramps up the fan when the A/C compressor is engaged). Found the primary fuse blown so I traced all my wires (ugh) and found the ignition switched lead for the fan cutoff which I had inadvertently pinched and shorted to the ground I think when I had changed out my dash pad. Along the way I found some damage to my gauge wiring harness and one of its connectors that I'm fixing right now, and will be adding spiral and split loom to the loose wires behind my dash in an effort to prevent future pinching of wires (got lazy before and paid for it, though fortunately was smart enough to fuse my IGN lead during the initial install). Fortunately the way I wired my kill switch and integrated it with the indicator light, disconnecting it from the fan controller still allowed the fan to operate and maintain the engine temperature. Dunno what gave me the foresight to wire it like that, but glad I did. So I spent yesterday evening diving into all my wiring with my multimeter and making sure everything is now okay. Will continue on when everything is back together and the wiring is all repaired and cleaned up. Busy busy last couple days on my 62.

So as it turns out, even though my A/C did have more oil in it than it should have, that was likely not the cause of the over pressurization that blew out two dryers like I had initially suspected. Looks to be the cause was the shorted IGN lead causing the fan to not ramp up with the A/C compressor being on, which led to insufficient airflow over the condenser.

The adventure continues!

So what your daying is you don't have a mechanical fan and shroud this is exactly why i stay with the mechanical fan when i do ls swaps even tho i am a wiring guy just don't trust electric fans. Is this also the reason behind the running warmer with the h55 swap?300psi is way way way to high I don't think the fan not ramping up wpuld cause it to be that high how fast does this happen? How much freon dod you put in the system? Have you made sure there os nothing blocking the lines and other components?
Tommy

AC?? Lol. I just keep the windows rolled for a couple miles until the sweat starts drip. Then roll the windows down. It's like heaven!
Actually my AC works, just not very cool.

Thos is a 1984fj60 i just did an ac refresh on with all new parts

20200701_190010.jpg

20200701_190018.jpg

20200626_154917.jpg

20200701_190112.jpg

So what your daying is you don't have a mechanical fan and shroud this is exactly why i stay with the mechanical fan when i do ls swaps even tho i am a wiring guy just don't trust electric fans. Is this also the reason behind the running warmer with the h55 swap?300psi is way way way to high I don't think the fan not ramping up wpuld cause it to be that high how fast does this happen? How much freon dod you put in the system? Have you made sure there os nothing blocking the lines and other components?
Tommy
Haven't had a mechanical fan since 07-08 somewhere around there. Never had a problem with heat using the electric fan except on the absolute hottest days in stop and go driving, once or twice a year. The problem I had now I'm pretty confident was my own fault in nicking and shorting out an unprotected wire. Honestly I think the big issue with electric fans not cooling well is people just slapping them in without any kind of shroud. This is a Ford Contour fan that I modified the shroud from to perfectly fit my radiator and it's worked beautifully for about 12 years.
With the A/C pressure inadequate airflow over the condenser will cause the system to overpressurize even before the recommended amount of refrigerant is serviced. At this point I've got about 7oz. of refrigerant in the system. I'm using Duracool 12a so you only service a third of what you normally would R12. IIRC the safety valve (more like a mechanical pressure "fuse") will blow somewhere between 350-400 PSI, so once it got close to 300 I switched it off and let it cool where the system pressure equalized and settled back to just about 10PSI both sides (equal pressure being good for static pressure with the system off). The buildup isn't immediate, but it's definitely not a slow build. Definitely no clogs in the system, so I know I'm good there. Once I fix my wiring and clean it up I'll hook up the gauges again and see where she sits, then service (or not) from there.

There we go; that mess is cleaned up. Spot the non Toyota parts 😁

Dash wiring.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom