Freshly rebuilt steering gear box with right turn wandering - Help. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just finished the installation of my rebuilt gear box and power steering pump in my FJ62. I'm now experiencing play in the steering wheel of about 1/8th of a turn and a very surprising wander while turning right. It's loose in the gearbox. I can turn the steering wheel and not see any movement of the wheels (while on jack stands) for at least 1/8 turn.

I double check the pump and box. The are primed with fluid. The box is secure to the frame. The pitman is tight. Why it is so "squirrelly" while banking or turning right is very strange. Any ideas or previous experience with this is appreciated. The rebuilding company was 3FE Steering.

Thanks.

x2 what Jim said.

Check the tie rod ends too.

Adjust steering gear box .... See FSM Chassis Steering section ... Follow the steering wheel freeplay adjustment procedure.

He paid an expert to rebuild the box. The expert should make it right. An ignorant customer monkeying around with either of the external adjustments could damage things, which makes it no longer a warranty concern.

Thanks fellas. I got a hold of the tech line at 3F Steering and basically described the situation and spent around 15 minutes with him over the phone. He gave me one option to double check the priming and make sure there's no air. Which I had already done. So, I did it again to make double sure. Nothing changed. They will be performing warrantee work.

sorry for cross question, i'm in need of rebuild kit for power steering gear box searched few website not able to find. can please suggest me where i can find a rebuild kit so i can do it myself as i'm from India so sending for rebuild is not possible and rebuilt gearbox is way to expensive.

what's the difficulty level of doing your own rebuild?
any special tools required?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom