Freshening my cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

landtank

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
landtankproducts.com
Got home today and found a parts box at my door. Head gasket set, PS pump kit, Alternator brush kit as well as an idler pully.

On March 14th, provided weather isn't still freezing, I'll be tearing down the engine to replace the HG. This is being done after finding a heavily contaminated cooling system and the fact that I now drive as much as 900 miles a week for work and don't want to get stranded a long way from home and be at the mercy of a dealer.

I've taken a week off from work and would like some input as what others have done to their trucks as they have gotten older.

What I've already done:

Throttle cable
air cleaner to throttle body hose
tuneup at 120k
belts
starter contacts

What I'm planning on doing so far:

head gasket
ps pump rebuild
alternator brushes
PHH
check harness at firewall
have radiator flushed
check PS hoses (I think some have failed)
replace fan fluid coupler

Any other ideas or some additional input on what I might specifically look for on some of those items I mentioned would be great. I still have a couple of weeks to get everything in order. Also from the FSM it looks like the head bolts are something other than a 6 point socket. If so what do I need?

Thanks for the input :cheers:

Rick,

Balancing the injectors would be something that I would probably have done at this time.

-B-

IIRC, RC Engineering is the outfit that Christo uses. It is possible that he may have a set of injectors "ready to go" as exchange units(wild ass guess). He is in Las Cruces NM at the moment, at the Chillie Challenge. Last I heard he was doing "some repairs" :whoops: so he could go out again.

:D

Juanne said that the short bus was sighted being towed out with "a broken front axle" and "radiator damage" :eek:

Replace the P/S return hose or you can join the noP/S club. It will only fail when you need it most.
If I remember its 5/8" Gates hose. Other brands work but are a bear to get on as they are a bit to tight.
REplace the sparkplug gasket in the valve cover.
Take apart the intake chamber and clean it with carb cleaner. If the EGR port is plugged like mine was, take pic's as I forgot too.

I want a plugged EGR port in the intake chamber pic to put in the EGR FA? post.

1.motor mounts, or at least the left one.= drivers side.
2.wipper re-fills
3.flush and refill -Red Line 80wt-90wt in F/R diff's 2.1 qt's ea.
4.rotate tires,
5.new wipper seals on front axel,and repack BIRFS- too.

>> 2.wipper re-fills <<

Huh?

>> RC Engineering <<

That would be my first choice but only because Christo and Robbie use them. I'm sure there is a FI shop in the Boston area that will do an excellent job. You might check with the local speed shops to see who they recommend.

-B-

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=12205;start=msg112274#msg112274 date=1077990860]

>> 2.wipper re-fills <<

Huh?

>> RC Engineering <<

That would be my first choice but only because Christo and Robbie use them. I'm sure there is a FI shop in the Boston area that will do an excellent job. You might check with the local speed shops to see who they recommend.

-B-
[/quote]

::) You want good wipers, no sheet, go get the $2.88 Wal-Mart, ones did a few test's in the lat 2 winters,
and those dang $8.00 and up yellow package bling bling ones cant compare to the WalMart wippers.

think i am full o Sheet, go spend $2.88 and prove me wrong.

**better yet,put the $8.00 wiper blade on your side,

And put the Wal-Mart $2.88 on her side and mid winter, you'll be asking
***her ***did we pass the turn off,Damn it's raining hard. :doh:

Ahhhh my little grasshopper.

Did you not know that the Toyota 80 series head gasket kit comes with a complete set of front and rear wiper blades? (wipper blades as you know them)

-B-

I checked the RC site. A little pricey for what I'm trying to accomplish. I've got a precission straight edge comming. I'll be checking all the surfaces for flatness and only machining if needed. In the past I've pretty much always did everything on a better safe than sorry approach. This time I'm going by the book and measure everything up and only do what's needed. Since the engine has been running fine I'm hoping for a reasonable cost at the outcome.

One thing I thought of was the oil cooler for the power steering. Since the radiator will be out of the truck maybe this is a good time to replace it. Where do these things usually fail?

Eric recently replaced his. IIRC it was the metal pipe section under the radiator.

Here is a pic of the tricky devil. It is located where Dan said on the front of the crossmember under the rad. In the pic is the new cooler that I'm going to install. I just have to weld two little tabs under the winch with the ARB bar. It will get air through that oval slot in the bullbar and be protected from nasties with the skidplate I made. Hope this gives you some ideas.

Bill

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=12205;start=msg112012#msg112012 date=1077941805]
IIRC, RC Engineering is the outfit that Christo uses. It is possible that he may have a set of injectors "ready to go" as exchange units(wild ass guess). He is in Las Cruces NM at the moment, at the Chillie Challenge. Last I heard he was doing "some repairs" :whoops: so he could go out again.
[/quote]

Hey, how do you know my stuff was broke :D Just a short side front inner axle, winch cable and radiator on the first day and a rear axle on the 2nd.

FWIW, Bobby Long treated oem Toyota birfields are stronger than a M8000 winch being spooled in and a 80 series in reverse. :eek:

Oh man are you going to have fun!

I just started on my head gasket replacement tonight. Worked from 7:00pm to 10:00pm and removed the cover over the cams(not called a valve cover is it?) and got most everything disconnected from the head. Tomorrow night we will remove the cams and then the head.

Lots of swearing at the toyota engineers!

Tools used so far... 3 or 4 sizes of metric sockets and wrenches. 12mm on most everything. Breaker bar (and foul language) for exhaust manifold bolts. Flathead screwdriver and pliers for removing various hoses and clamps. Impact wrench saw some use but not really needed. Oh, hope you dont have big hands like I do. Lots of hard to reach bolts. Lots of dropped bolts... 3 or 4 never hit the ground and have yet to be found.

I would recommend some way to mark hoses and wires. A white sharpee marker is a good idea too.

I thought I was fairly mechanically inclined but I count my blessings after tonight that my friend is helping. He is a diesel mechanic and has a fully stocked home garage... plus a sixth sense regarding all things mechanical (you know the type).

Lower back pain, I feel it already.

Where the hell is the pet cock to drain the radiator?

Regards,
Larry

Larry,

Your PS pump o-ring left today.

It sounds like I should have shipped some Bufferin too. ;)

Thanks Dan.

I will be calling tomorrow. Need another part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom