Freeing the Hub!! fj60

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by eraldovallejo, Feb 14, 2009.

1. eraldovallejo

eraldovallejo

[​IMG]Hello everyone,

When I got my 60 it came with some 33's, the front driver tire was going flat but I wanted to trade the wheels with my stock fj62, but the wheel locks are shot!! The PO hamered them in and they don't come out. So I decided to remove the 4x4 locking unit and work my way from there to free the wheel or remove it with the disk? and do you get my idea?? well, the hub doesn't come out, I removed the hub cover the snap washer, washers and nuts for the free wheel hub but the CONES dont come out as well as the hub. I tried tapping it but it is hard since the tire/rim is on the way!!!
    I am new at this but I am willing to go the extra mile and learn from my mistakes, help please!!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  2. MrMoMo

MrMoMo That's not rust, it's Canadian patina...

Media:
    Albums:
    Try search... The cones can be removed by many methods, Brass drift being one.

3. eraldovallejo

eraldovallejo

BRASS DRIFT?? I tried to tap them with a screw driver and the hammer but I wasn't sure if that was the way!!

4. Spike Strip

Spike Strip Why do I smell cheese? SILVER Star

EV, first go out there tonight and spray all the cones with PB Blaster - Let it sit overnight (spray 'em twice tonight if you can)...

Tomorrow, get a brass drift (sears or Harbor Freight LINKY ) and place the drift on the end of the stud holding the cone washer. Put a nut on there if you have one to protect the stud... Give it a good whack with a Big F*&^&ng hammer. The cones will pop out.

I gotta go to work tomorrow at 8am, or I'd come by and show you...

Try this thread:

http://www.birfield.com/~morgan/tech/axle/index.html

Alf
    tools.jpg

5. Bret

Bret

6. eraldovallejo

eraldovallejo

Thanks guys for the info I actually got one off yesterday after reading a few of the post, couldn't keep with the rest since I was on my way out with my family, but today I am doing this!! TRanny will be next!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.