Free Steel for Bumpers!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok I was working at one of our field locations today and asked their warehouse manager if they had some scrap steel I could have just for small projects. As it turns out they had a 1/4 in thick piece of steel plate that was 6 ft x 8 ft that they are just letting me have. Also they had a whole sheet of 3/4 in expanding metal in the standard 4 ft x 8 ft cut that they are also just letting me have. Both have been outside and have surface rust but nothing bad. The plate could very well be a 2H Grade 50 or A572 Grade 50 so that's a plus. The expanding metal is A36 grade.

So now I have all this steel to make my bumpers. I'm going to call a vendor I have bought a lot steel from before that is next door and see if he has some 3/4 in steel drop plates I can sift through tomorrow. If so that will be used for the mounts to the bumper and then extend on through the front of the bumper to make a point for attaching shackles. I also have a source for some 1-1/4 in pipe for the brush guard part.

So go me! Now does anyone have some good plans or just tips for constructing your own bumper?

As I keep promising (and not delivering) pictures of the build to this point are coming soon. I have not been able to work on the 60 for a few days because of work and being sick last weekend.

there were a couple of people that posted up some CAD drawings that might help, but again, searching and asking, and keep on keepin on all that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom