Free Moly is a Good Thing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Which brand/model grease gun?

I picked up a cheapo battery powered grease gun maybe 10 years ago
but returned it as it was slower than a manual pump gun.
I’m a cheapo. I bought a HF Bauer impact for a project 7 years ago and figured I’d be happy if it lasted for the duration on that project. Still using it. So I got a Bauer grease gun. It is way, WAY better than manual or a pneumatic I’d bought.

When we closed up the USA Today shop here nobody wanted the 3 10 pack boxes, or the 2 5 gallon pails of Schaffer 5% molygrease. So I
was forced to take it ALL! I feel soo guilty.

You’re a gentleman, doing a service for them! 😂

Some of the lighter weight fluids tend to float on top of the grease after being stored for a long time. Stir/blend it back in as much as possible to maintain integrity.

Excellent point. That’s one thing I hate about storing tubes. This actually made me optimistic about the possibility of making/acquiring a paddle that’s a smaller surface area version of a sheet rock mud/paint mixing paddle.

I’m a cheapo. I bought a HF Bauer impact for a project 7 years ago and figured I’d be happy if it lasted for the duration on that project. Still using it. So I got a Bauer grease gun. It is way, WAY better than manual or a pneumatic I’d bought.

You’re a gentleman, doing a service for them! 😂

Excellent point. That’s one thing I hate about storing tubes. This actually made me optimistic about the possibility of making/acquiring a paddle that’s a smaller surface area version of a sheet rock mud/paint mixing paddle.
Screenshot_20221229-153816.png
local hardware chain here has these.

2.5" across, plastic paddle. I've used them for mixing paints and epoxies

Excellent point. That’s one thing I hate about storing tubes.
what IS a good solution to this? my old school pump that takes the big tubes ends up seperating and making an drippy oily mess all over whatever is below it, or in the bag i shove it in. have i been doing something wrong for 20+ years or do i just not use enough grease.

Flip the can every few months, if it has a positive seal, separation will be greatly reduced😉

what IS a good solution to this? my old school pump that takes the big tubes ends up seperating and making an drippy oily mess all over whatever is below it, or in the bag i shove it in

The recommended method seems to be to depressurize the grease gun and then lay it on its side.

Personally, I started hanging mine upside down. That seemed to solve the oil separation issue... for about six months. Then it started oozing through. Still not as much as when I hung them right side up.

Plenty of people over on GarageJournal make 'holsters' out of PVC pipe. At least that contains the drips.

The recommended method seems to be to depressurize the grease gun and then lay it on its side.

Personally, I started hanging mine upside down. That seemed to solve the oil separation issue... for about six months. Then it started oozing through. Still not as much as when I hung them right side up.

Plenty of people over on GarageJournal make 'holsters' out of PVC pipe. At least that contains the drips.
I like the idea of "holsters" for my grease guns.

I have to carry them in the back of my 80 (both for work and for service to my truck) and I've been carrying them in garbage bags and it's still a mess. I am going to work on something to hold them a bit cleaner.

I have an actual farm implement grease gun holder (it's really cool and secure) but it is permanently mounted and it takes up a huge amount of space. I keep that one attached to my toolbox.

what IS a good solution to this? my old school pump that takes the big tubes ends up seperating and making an drippy oily mess all over whatever is below it, or in the bag i shove it in. have i been doing something wrong for 20+ years or do i just not use enough grease.
Seeing as how I’ve got a never ending supply now, 😂, I figure I’ll just pump what I don’t use back into the keg, then mix it all up each time. 😎😎😎

Seeing as how I’ve got a never ending supply now, 😂, I figure I’ll just pump what I don’t use back into the keg, then mix it all up each time. 😎😎😎

Meh

May as well live large now. You're on a greased track from here on in! :cool:

When you've done greasing uni joints, just throw away the grease gun. Re-packed birfs? Toss that gun across the shed into the trash. Greased slip yolk? Slam dunk the gun into the trash!

Start with a fresh gun and fresh fill of grease every time.
Don't live like us poor plebs who still have to buy grease!! :slap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom