Free 3rd member, good for parts maybe (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sup Y'all,
I have a 3rd member that has shot pinion bearings. Don't know if there are any other good parts in there that someone can use.

If anyone wants it come and get it, otherwise it'll go to metal recycling.

B.

Hi Brian,

Do you have the driveshaft universal yoke? If so is it the one that takes the larger bolts? My 45 has a mix match of small and large bolt universal yoke bolts so I am trying to get them all the same large bolt style.

Cheers,

Jim

Hi Jim,
All these parts are from my '73 FJ40. Sorry but I don't know if they are the small or large bolt style.

I have the stock 3rd member with bad bearings, including the yoke, and I have a rear driveshaft that is broken in two. I took a look at the driveshaft and I think the yokes are in good shape.

If this is what you're looking for I can measure it and take a real good look at their condition. You can have this stuff if you like. Lemme' know bro :cheers:
B.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the offer. I will be rebuilding my front and rear drive shafts so if you want the driveshaft pieces out of your yard I will take them also. If I don't use them I will put up a post just like you did and try to recycle them into another crusier. I really enjoy making an old rusty part or the good pieces from a broken part work for another 20 or 30 years. It's just part of the fun with these old rigs. I don't have any trips planed to go south durring the next week but I can make a special trip down there if you what that stuff gone. Just let me know. Thanks again buddy!

Cheers,

Jim

Cool man, I like when old pieces find new life.

Any chance you'll be making it to the Borrego run on April 4th? I'll probably be there and I could get those parts to you.

:beer:
B.

Hi Brian,

I won't be able to make the run on the 4th. Are you going to do the TDS Desert Safari at Truckhaven the following weekend? If not we can hook up another way. Thanks again for the old parts.:bounce:

Cheers,

Jim

Cool, glad someone wants these parts.

Jim,
so you only wanted the busted driveshaft right? I didn't know about the TDS run. I'll read up on it and see about making it out there. Otherwise, I'm in PB, and you could swing by anytime, or maybe I could meet you at some other even.

fj40_73,
You are welcome to the diff if Jim doesn't want it. I'll take a good look at the gears to be sure they're not boogered up.
BTW, I have some serious Metaltech cage envy! :flipoff2: Actually Metaltech, ARB, and disk brake envy! Nice rig dood.

TTYL, B.

thanks man. That metaltech saved my bacon. Worth every hour put into it.

Yeah, I could not tell if Jim wanted that 3rd or not too. If so no big deal.

I got kinda bummed out today when I relized that the run on the 4th is April. I was thinking March. Things are up in the air if I have to fly to the East Coast, and exactly which week I'll be gone. If I cannot make the April 4th run, I can jam down to PB to get that thing if Jim is not wanting it. I'll know in a couple weeks if I can make the run.

Thanks,
SY.

Hi Guys,

I would like both the 3rd member and the drive shaft. If they do not help me resolve my problems then I will give it all or the parts that I don't need to FJ40_73 so he has a trail back up.

Sorry for not explaining my self better. My drive shaft has the large bolts and my rear diff does not so I really need the yoke that comes out of the 3rd member and connects to the driveshaft. Hopefully the yoke that you have uses the larger bolts. I would sooner go larger than smaller on the bolt diameter. It helps me in two ways the first is that the larger bolts should be stronger and I would only have one size of bolts to deal with. The Orion is setup for the large bolts and so is the front diff so I am guessing somewhere down the trail the rear diff (full floater) was taken off the truck and an early model FJ40 rearend replaced it. I hope this helps explain what I am trying to do a little better.

As far as pickup goes we can figure that one out. I can come down to PB meet you when you are closer or you can stop by the house here in Fallbrook and check out my FJ45 project and have a cold one. What ever works best for you. Thanks you very much for your offer!

Cheers,

Jim

Hi Bestesdogie,

I am not sure. It has drum brakes and I would assume the stock gears. I have not rebuilt the diff yet and want to save my coin so when I do I can install an ARB locker which I already have put in the front diff when that was rebuilt. Great questions, sorry I don't have the answers. One weird thing is that when I rebuilt the brakes I ordered slave cylinders and brake shoes for an FJ45 PU and they all fit perfect. So, maybe not all rear ends for the FJ45 LWB were full floaters and this maybe the stock rear end. There are so many mixed and matched parts on this truck it seems like every time I work on it I learn something about another year cruiser. :D All I can say it sure if fun learning. Any advice that you may have is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jim

Heya' Jim, PM sent.
Brian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom