Free 100 series! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
devxphoto.com
Hey guys! I have a free 2000 LC that my friend is giving to me. I’ve been waiting since last September to get it. Yesterday we finally got it into the shop for a checkup. It’s a rusty truck but they said it’s solid and there’s nothing to be worried about yet. Apparently it only needs the timing belt and a few other small things. Mechanic said it would run about $1,500 for the belt replacement. Is it worth it?
Here is the link to the inspection so you can take a look and tell me what you think. It’s in Fairbanks Alaska and I am planning on doing 2 week trip driving through Canada to Burlington Vermont.

D779A2A6-D57E-4D07-9A7C-5E53089E31E9.jpeg

D59481D6-9130-4F09-BAD1-C140E7204AF1.png

586BA56F-1BF9-452B-9B30-6E3A6A96B57E.jpeg

D4C2C50B-6FCF-4DCE-8430-020423EB85AD.jpeg

I seem to recall a discussion about this truck a few months back, maybe longer. I don't doubt that it would be a fun trip, but I don't think it is worth it. If you were going to change the TB yourself, and all of the other work yourself, then maybe. If you are going to pay a shop to do your work, this thing will cost you way more than it is worth very quickly. The price of gas combined with just the timing belt is approaching the price of way less rusty 100 series...

Glad you made a thread here- i commented on your FB post as well.
If what @KliersLC said is true, I don't recall the outcome previously. But if you had talked about it before...just go and do it!!!!

Get that TB done for sure tho

thanks !

That's not a free 100 at all. It's just a lower than normal cost of entry offset by more than normal work to be done. You'll still end up many thousands into it by the time you get it home and start going through it.

I think of the phrase 'penny-wise and dollar-foolish'.

1657143158343.png

How could you not give this guy money?

Send it. It’s a 20 year old vehicle, one way or another you will have thousands into - especially if you live in a road salt area. The nice thing about a beat up rusty rig; trail rash and accompanying damage don’t feel as bad as it does in a $15k vehicle. Don’t expect a $15k vehicle out of a free rusty Cruiser, and you won’t be upset. Make it a trail rig and beat the s*** out of it for the rest of her days and send her on to Cruiser afterlife happy.

Don’t put a dime into it other than fresh fluids in the diffs and engine and t-case and run it until she quits and go from there. Fix the A/C if it needs it (inspection doesn’t say it’s bad so must be good! Score!)

Chances are it’ll just keep going. And provide a lot of memories. No winning any beauty contests or the least squeaks and rattles championship but you’ll have a great time getting there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom