Freakin' Blade Refills! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After much "research" I found some blade refills for our 2005 last week. I ordered part #'s 8521450100 and 85214-0E020. They both are a hair wider than my OEM rubber, I thought about trying to trim but doesn't seem feasible. Anyone else had this issue? Did I use the wrong part #? Looking at old threads those part #'s seem to be what folks have settled on...

Possible that someone before removed the OEM blades? Here's part no's for '05.

upload_2018-11-6_7-29-22.png

Sidebar: In my almost 200k I've put on my spressoWAGON...I've been back/forth with many different aftermarket blades (including the expensive Silblades), new complete OEM arms & blades, OEM refills, etc. None kept me happy for very long. So I just installed these and so far they are by far the best at swiping clean, no skipping/rattling/chattering (always seems to be a problem for the rear wiper), etc. Time will tell but the reviews are great as well as the price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7QY58V/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

22" and 24", I just buy the best ones available at the parts store. $50 every two years and no concerns.

METO was junk in my experience in rainy Pacific NW. Simply not safe after 2 months: cheap plastic falls apart and the blade stopped working. Cheap Chinese junk that is priced at a premium.

I agree on the difficulty finding a good wiper. Look at the base size/width more than anything. The OE have quite a base there. Also, take care of the arm springs, the tension there is considerable. The surface area of the windshield is big and it is not flat.

OEM refills work pretty well in heavy rain here, and I drive I-5 corridor a lot. So, I let my lexus dealer install all three for $25 every year. I also tried quite a few, including some exotic brands, installed new arms and wiper assemblies, etc. I wish we could find a silver bullit in this department as we see a lot of water here.

22" and 24", I just buy the best ones available at the parts store. $50 every two years and no concerns.

Depends on the year. '98 & '99 models use 20" on both fronts as standard technically but I'm not sure there's any reason you can't go to the 22" and 24" versions.

To toss in another opinion, I bought some kinda pricey Trico blades with fancy aero plastic shrouds that flexed and skipped and chattered when I actually needed to use them in a storm, so in a pinch I stopped into Bi-Mart (yes thats a real store here in the PNW) on a very rainy day and bought the cheapest Trico basic blades they had with steel frames, about $5 each. They have been flawless in every way. I'll still get the PIAA silicone blades next round for longer life but for now these are really impressing the hell out of me.

I have always purchased the Bosch Icon wipers. You can pick them up at O'Reilly, Advance or Auto Zone but worth the money. I normally change them every 2 years and make sure every time I wash the vehicle I clean the wipers.

Here's the link to one I purchased on eBay, looks like I actually had the part number right TOYOTA OEM RAV4 Wiper Washer-Windshield-Blade Assembly Refill Left 8521450100 | eBay . It is just a tad to wide to fit into the clips. Weird. I'm about to give up on the OEM and just order replacements. I may look at it tonight, but just didn't see a way to trim without losing a finger.
I think some of us thought the length was too long, like maybe 22.5" instead of 22" but I see now you mean the actual narrow width of the blade. Yeah that's a weird one! Do you think your wiper arms were replaced at some point and that's why the OEM refills don't work? I've always preferred just switching the whole unit than the thin rubber bits as they are so fiddly and not necessarily tons cheaper depending where you source.

Sidebar: In my almost 200k I've put on my spressoWAGON...I've been back/forth with many different aftermarket blades (including the expensive Silblades), new complete OEM arms & blades, OEM refills, etc. None kept me happy for very long. So I just installed these and so far they are by far the best at swiping clean, no skipping/rattling/chattering (always seems to be a problem for the rear wiper), etc. Time will tell but the reviews are great as well as the price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7QY58V/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't have any experience with them, but I clicked on the link. They have some excellent features, taken from the product description in the listing ...

• LOTUS-LIKE DRAIN:.. The rainwater will directly fly away without opening the wiper, when the vehicle speed exceeds 80 yard...
  • 0 STEARK COMMITMENT: ..The strong memory steel sheet evenly stressed on and closely fitted to the glass..
  • MUTED AS FLIPPING A BOOK: ... Listening to the moving music in the car on a rainy day, the wiper quietly follows the music.
If there's ANYTHING I hate, it's stearks, especially Tony. Also, anything resembling a Lotus has an undeniable cool factor, although I'll need to recalibrate my speedometer to yards per minute, I guess. As a musician, I'm always bugged when my wipers don't keep time with what I'm listening to, so I appreciate that last feature very much. Gotta practice my book flipping..

I've been using Bosch Icons on most of my cars. Last time I replaced wipers on my Benz ML500, I used dealership blades. Much as I hate to admit it, they fit better, wipe better, and have lasted longer. Sooo.. I tried Toyota dealership blades on my FR-S. Total crap.. streaky and the tip on one split after a few months. I might give the ones above a try!

• LOTUS-LIKE DRAIN:.. The rainwater will directly fly away without opening the wiper, when the vehicle speed exceeds 80 yard...
  • 0 STEARK COMMITMENT: ..The strong memory steel sheet evenly stressed on and closely fitted to the glass..
  • MUTED AS FLIPPING A BOOK: ... Listening to the moving music in the car on a rainy day, the wiper quietly follows the music.

These do sound great! I think the 22" size is even better as it will get you three hundred hectares on a single tank of kerosene.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom