Framin' (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tubalubb

what do you mean by "put it back together"?
Threads
Ok gang. I'm giving serious consideration to purchasing this 74 tomorrow. The biggest question I have is about the frame. Some yahoo cut the last foot off the frame and plugged a bumper in with about a foot of misc. frame rail on each side and then welded the leaf spring on that (see photos). On the surface, it doesn't seem like a terrible problem but I don't want to jump in without knowing. I've seen some frame parts from some vendors for sale that seem to cover this area. Anyone have any thoughts about this? Big deal, typical fare, etc.?
Thanks
Tub
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1408841859.675713.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1408841877.711252.jpg

...via IH8MUD app

big deal? depends on your skill set and depth of tool box.
but you can surely use it as huge bargaining point, i would not drive that thing on the road. parts truck only;)

Well darn; I guess it's not a good candidate but I was sure hoping it was. Appreciate the advice.

...via IH8MUD app

I have a complete 76 rolling chassis. That will bolt under that body if it's in good condition

Thanks, the body was fair. The engine compartment etc. was as it left the factory. You know, I never looked. Are frames marked/numbered to the vehicle?

My goal was to restore it to as close to factory condition as I could. I have the 78 daily driver and wanted a project I didn't have to worry about reassembling to get somewhere I needed to be.

...via IH8MUD app

unless you are a very competent welder and fabricator, that frame is a huge headache to restore.

frames are stamped with the VIN on the outside of the front right frame horn.

I would look closely at the body, if the frame is that rusted the body is not far behind. Also if you change the frame it is likely you will have to notify your state DMV and re register it or document it in the vehicle records. Plenty of good ones out there make sure you are clear on what it will take to bring it up to speed and that you have the skills to do it. Or a wheelbarrow full of money, good luck.

I know it's illegal but I have seen ppl grind the vin off the frame and re stamp it. Lol that's assuming your a dishonest person or some one that wants a truck for themselves but doesn't want to deal with the red tape of dealing with the dmv. And who really checks trucks and cars of this age. It was almost common practice back then to do this swap and it's before 1980 when they stepped up the vin requirements to the std. 17 digit vin so it was harder for chop shops to do this to car but they still got away with it and still do. Iirc in the 80s they started stamping body panels as well as the frame and main body sections in like 10-15 different places. But some of these trucks we build are so cobbled together from different trucks there's not many that are above 75% orginal any way. And you can buy 3/4 and whole tubs and I doubt very many goes through the bs of reporting it. I bet they just swap the vin plates on the A pillar and if you look hard enough you can find the correct rivets. So really what's the difference between changing a body to changing a frame. Not much says this observer.

Well I guess I'll punt. Missed buying the good one, a '76, by a day (fortunately another mud member got it and is restoring it) and hoped this would ease the pain but sense has prevailed. Thanks all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom