Frame Rust šŸ†˜ !!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for some feedback form some of you whom may have encountered frame rust before. I am currently looking to purchase my first GX470 and make the plunge into overlanding. I've been looking for about 6 months and I think I've found the one!! Or so I thought. A almost perfect interior with a great exterior 2006 with the sport package so KDSS is equiped!! Yes a real unicorn when it comes to the GX470. Price is under 12k and only 100k miles. Here comes the BUT, rust on the frame and other places. Is it too much and is this deal to good to be true? Please help! Would be pulling the trigger maybe after Christmas/New year.

Screenshot_20201222-224418.png

Screenshot_20201222-224454.png

Screenshot_20201222-224527.png

Screenshot_20201222-224557.png

Screenshot_20201222-224545.png

It is a fair amount of rust. Not sure your location. That would be pretty good for rustbelt, or Midwest, but pretty bad for southern states.

see this photo? The hole on the bottom side of by the lift post is going to be the most telling. Iā€™ll bet you anything you put your finger in there and youā€™ll find delaminating frame metal, maybe even a nice big chunk. But if you donā€™t then thatā€™s a good sign.

D5D3A18E-85E9-4991-9F3B-0EEBD4D8CA1D.jpeg

Personally I draw the line after weld rust. Rust just at the welds isnā€™t really a big deal at all. Can be wire wheeled and painted. The larger patches of surface suggest to me youā€™ve got stuff going on the inside bottom of the frame as well which is the bad stuff.

Donā€™t let people be like ā€œthatā€™s nothing I live in Michiganā€. Look in the holes the best you can, put your finger in the bottom ones around the really rusty spots. Even take a ball peen hammer and tap around to see if you break metal. Then make an actual educated decision. I see people try to spend others money on the internet on a rusty pos all too often, and as someone who has bought a 4Runner with a hole in the frame, it drives me nuts.

edit; I also meant to add that the rear most crossmember looks pretty ate up on the outside. These like to rust out at the corners. Take a hammer to it to see if it falls apart if theyā€™ll let you. If they donā€™t let you then walk.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the feedback it has really helped. I am in Virginia. The GX is in New Jersey. So going to see the vehicle in person just to check would not be something I might do. I'm considering options nation wide. Just thought I found a deal as it has been quite a task to find one with KDSS and low miles. I have always done most of the work on all my vehicles, but I have never encountered a rusty frame. So not sure if this is treatable or even worth it. It sounds as though it's a terrible job to have to do and if you miss a spot or two it can be pretty costly. Not sure it's worth the headache or constantly worrying and checking for new rust and then treating that new rust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom