Frame rust on 2004 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Man I am glad at least my state doesn't have these annoying (yearly?) inspections? I understand their concern about leaks and rust but that's gotta be annoying to deal with.
I lived in MD most of my life and I REALLY hate the annual inspections. If you own multiple cars it is even more annoying.

NoVA inspectors are crazy, I just want to change it now and forget about that issue for next 10 years :)
The guy is complaining about your crossmember? The bolted on one? Wow! Seriously, Do not go back there. lol

I will not go back to the place that failed my LCs since they were full of crap. I asked the other counter guy that I kinda had a rapport with how they knew I had "bad wheel bearings" besides grabbing he axles? He essentially acknowledged that is all they did which is ridiculous. Needless to say they were wrong.

Find an inspection station that is honest. I once went to get my LC inspected in my twn and they asked me to replace headlights due to a crack! I said forget it, and left. then went to another shop and it passed. Since then I go there! I of course instaled new headlights but nothing is perfect on the road.

I did my state inspection this week, and inspector told me that I have a lot frame rust, he passed me this year, but in 1-2 years it will get any worse. What would you suggest to stop the rust on the truck? I already changed an exhaust and transmission lines because of rust, but trying to figure is there a way to slow down the frame rust
Having purchased a few vehicles from VA as a Marylander, their safety inspections are a crock. I’ve purchased vehicles that pass their inspections and need full brake jobs to pass in Md… VA inspections truly are a scam. My old lc had WAY Way way More rust than that and passed VA inspections, even had a hole in the frame. I’d say that inspector was going to take you for a ride if you let them.

That inspector is straight full of $h!t! Sorry to be blunt, but I don't know what else to say... That rust is very minor.

If it were mine rig I'd hit what I could with a wire wheel on a finder then some rust converter and finally some paint. I'd then give it a coat of Fluid Film for added protection. With a little bit of TLC your 100 will have decades of life left in its frame and body.

Notwithstanding its ties to Robert E. Lee's namesake army, Northern Virginia is close to DC, which is close to Baltimore, which is close to Philly, which is close to NYC - which has plenty of rust. Northern Virginia's claims of being in the south are quite dubious.

As a native of ROVA (the Rest of VA), I can confirm- NOVA is NOT the south and to be honest, Maryland can have them. Anything north of Richmond isn't really the Old Dominion, they're just DC suburbs.

I honestly felt he sounds like he makes me a favor for passing me on VA safety inspection..

Just do what every other car enthusiast in the state does and find an inspector who like $20 bills and/or alcohol.

That frame is no-problemo. I'd probably not go back to that inspector, though.

My 2000 looked nice underneath like that as well but upon closer examination there was some spots that needed attention , like previously mentioned the crossmember above the rear axle on the driver side and the transmission support. I just recently spent quite a bit of time wire brushing and giving it the POR 15 treatment. I used 9 of they’re small cans a small harbor freight disposable paintbrush for each can and 1 1/2 qt of the metal prep and purple degreaser from Wally World. I wish I had local access to one of those dry ice blasters , that would have been nice. I was just trying to protect the frame for another 20+ years . After the POR treatment I did use fluid film in all the holes in the frame although I do not think I would like the coat the entire frame with it

Go see APS in Fairfax (apsrustandtint.com) and get the rust proofing. They go a great job, I had my car done there. They use good stuff that is a black matte finish, not glossy or oily like Fluid Film. Look up my posts for pictures of it being done

Go see APS in Fairfax (apsrustandtint.com) and get the rust proofing. They go a great job, I had my car done there. They use good stuff that is a black matte finish, not glossy or oily like Fluid Film. Look up my posts for pictures of it being done
I live 2 miles away from that place and was planning to stop by that place this week, but what worries me, that according to reddit posts of Tacoma owners, that shop charges now over $1k for rust proofing our trucks, kind of too much for that

There is a place in York, PA, Krown Rust Control, that charges around $180 for the same treatment

I live 2 miles away from that place and was planning to stop by that place this week, but what worries me, that according to reddit posts of Tacoma owners, that shop charges now over $1k for rust proofing our trucks, kind of too much for that

There is a place in York, PA, Krown Rust Control, that charges around $180 for the same treatment
Get a quote from them and see. I had my rust-proofing done around 2 years ago and it was reasonable around $500 for wire wheeling, cavity rust proofing and everything. Also, You can also certainly do this yourself but access to a lift is highly recommended with POR15

If they’re just spraying a clean frame it’s easy. Are they prepping and cleaning the rust off first? I believe on the 4R forums people coated rust and it continued to rust anyway depending on what products you use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom