Frame rust on 2004 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I did my state inspection this week, and inspector told me that I have a lot frame rust, he passed me this year, but in 1-2 years it will get any worse. What would you suggest to stop the rust on the truck? I already changed an exhaust and transmission lines because of rust, but trying to figure is there a way to slow down the frame rust

If you have holes made by rust you cut and weld a new piece rust is like cancer.
You can also move to another state that does not do inspections? But you need to make sure to fix that since its a safety issue.

Cut and weld in new pieces or be prepared to replace the Hundy with a non rusty one. It’s really car dependent and where the rot is located, some places are easy to fix some places are where connections to the suspension are and kind of hard to fix.

The box design makes it hard to clean up the inside and will slowly spread like cancer regardless.

The whole not getting inspections yearly is crappy, saw some really ugly cars in Maryland on my car searches. Emissions I agree once your cars so old screw it but, safety inspections in the NE or other rust belts should be enforced. (I’ve seen a trailer break off rusty POS truck on a highway lucky no one died, destroyed 2 cars for sure damaged others).

Post some pictures, that can give peeps an idea of how bad it is and make suggestion. There's tons of rust threads and how to mitigate it, from barriers like POR15, to treatments like Fluidfilm, to welding in new metal/scab plates.

I'm surprised the car would be that rusty in northern VA. Has the car always been a VA car, or did it come from another state?

Notwithstanding its ties to Robert E. Lee's namesake army, Northern Virginia is close to DC, which is close to Baltimore, which is close to Philly, which is close to NYC - which has plenty of rust. Northern Virginia's claims of being in the south are quite dubious.

pics or it didnt happen
oh trust me, it did happen! Will try to post pics, raining outside right now

I'm surprised the car would be that rusty in northern VA. Has the car always been a VA car, or did it come from another state?
I bought this car from Hershey, PA, two hours drive, but they do get more snow and salt

Get a small piece of narrow garden hose, attach it to your shop vac, and jam it is the inspection holes get all the dirt, rust scaling, flakes, etc out of the inside of the frame. Then paint and fluid film it inside and out. But definitely get as much debris out of the frame rails as possible.

You can have a shop patch any rusted out holey sections. Pretty common type of frame repair.

actually I think it’s not that bad

2EAFB824-3818-4C68-BCD1-345FA636DCB2.jpeg

0A6D2F62-E219-4DFB-8F0A-B48D3797AEB3.jpeg

CAC378FA-5872-4362-ACCE-ADCFB4B70A73.jpeg

If it took 18 years to get to this much rust, it'll last at least another 18-30 more years before there's any structural issues. Longer if you coat with a product like Blaster Surface Shield or similar.

From your pictures, you have very light surface rust on the frame. Crossmember has more damage, but that's easily replaceable. Ugly fuel tank skid plate, but also easily replaceable.

Boy, I would be tempted to go back to the inspector and make them show you their areas of concern, because I don't see anything remotely worrying. The cover over the gas tank is looking nasty, but most do. That said, you are in the East, I'd look at preventative measures still for winter.

It is because you are in Fairfax. lol. I live in Loudoun which is really no better BUT that rust is essentially is NOTHING compared to others in the area. Check your driver side rear cross member above the axle though. That is likely the only place you have frame damage based on the condition I am seeing. It is fixable if you do. My friend had it done in VT. We are not safe from rust here but anything north of here or near the ocean is going to be tough on these trucks.

If it took 18 years to get to this much rust, it'll last at least another 18-30 more years before there's any structural issues. Longer if you coat with a product like Blaster Surface Shield or similar.

From your pictures, you have very light surface rust on the frame. Crossmember has more damage, but that's easily replaceable. Ugly fuel tank skid plate, but also easily replaceable.

Boy, I would be tempted to go back to the inspector and make them show you their areas of concern, because I don't see anything remotely worrying. The cover over the gas tank is looking nasty, but most do. That said, you are in the East, I'd look at preventative measures still for winter.
I honestly felt he sounds like he makes me a favor for passing me on VA safety inspection..

Notwithstanding its ties to Robert E. Lee's namesake army, Northern Virginia is close to DC, which is close to Baltimore, which is close to Philly, which is close to NYC - which has
I honestly felt he sounds like he makes me a favor for passing me on VA safety inspection..
Take it somewhere else next time. I am surprised they didnt fail you for wheel bearings or CV joints. I had (2) LCs they tried to fail in Leesburg and trust me they did not have bad wheel bearings. I had a acquaintance get failed for this in MD as well. Point is most inspection stations are just trying to get over around here.

Wow yeah that’s nothing ignore my early post haha

Take it somewhere else next time. I am surprised they didnt fail you for wheel bearings or CV joints. I had (2) LCs they tried to fail in Leesburg and trust me they did not have bad wheel bearings. I had a acquaintance get failed for this in MD as well. Point is most inspection stations are just trying to get over around here.
He made a very serious face when told me that I have leaking cv boots, and its VERY important that I need to fix it.. That was on Lee highway near Centreville

He made a very serious face when told me that I have leaking cv boots, and its VERY important that I need to fix it.. That was on Lee highway near Centreville
Man I am glad at least my state doesn't have these annoying (yearly?) inspections? I understand their concern about leaks and rust but that's gotta be annoying to deal with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom