Frame Rust - is some OK or never OK? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m still trying to understand what level of rust on the frame is acceptable, if any. Here are some pics from a 2003 LC with 151k miles from northern VA. It almost looks to me like the frame has been replaced. The worst part seem to be the skid plates which are replaceable. Would love to hear everyone’s thoughts

82EBA721-F955-4A71-80B3-8D8FA69C9FD7.jpeg

C711A859-AEE4-4104-8E71-51EEF951E664.jpeg

27AB1334-EC34-4CC9-A047-15AF5FCF2A8F.jpeg

A9D49AD9-7720-48D5-A44D-830BBB573B66.jpeg

867AAF6E-2ED0-4432-A8F1-63EF25AFB243.jpeg

I don’t think that one looks too bad, but here in New England, rust is unavoidable. I tend to focus on how bad the frame itself is rusted and if it looks like the structural integrity is compromised.

A frame rusting out to the point of needing replacement is a no-go for me, as it’s just too expensive. Skid plates and other components I can live with, at the right price. Kind of up to you in my opinion, but that doesn’t look too bad as it is to me personally, with the caveat that I drive in a salty, freezing hell.

The areas that look “new” or black in those pics are 100% painted with something. I bet a million dollars underneath all that fresh black paint it looks as rusted as the skid plates do. I wouldn’t buy that. Toyota never paints the bolt heads black so that’s a dead giveaway.... aside from overspray on the muffler and how inconsistent it looks compared to the skids.

I’m inclined to agree about the painting/coating being...suspicious given how recently painted it looks. They obviously painted it, which could be an attempt to hide something more serious. Honestly if I was looking to buy it, I’d rather they just left it as is so I could see how extensive the rust is. You’d really have to physically inspect it closely and obviously decide if you think it poses too many potential future issues, or if you’re not comfortable doing so yourself, bite the bullet and pay for an inspection.

For me personally, if the frame is rotting, I have passed. Other components like skid plates, steering components, etc, I’m a little more flexible on. Depends on the totality of the truck itself, price, your mechanical ability, how much money you have to correct issues, and so on. Depends on where you live too and if you have the means/desire to source a truck from the south. Had a Nissan once that looked ten times that bad after about three years, and it still lasted years more before I deemed it unsafe to drive. If I lived in Arizona I’d pass on that truck, but in the northeast, I’d probably have it inspected by a professional for the peace of mind.

Yeah, that's weirdly suspect. Like why would they paint it? Also, I see you're in Boone. I'm a few hours east of you. There's no reason to buy one with any big amount of rust around here. A little bit is ok, but in NC you can definitely score a good one if you wait/are willing to do a little travel. Case in point, I drove 4.5 hrs out to TN to get a 100% rust-free one. Sure, it's more of a hassle than buying one in your own town, but it's worth wasting an extra day or two of your life to get a nice clean one. Every time you get underneath to work on something you'll thank yourself for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom