Frame Rot Opinions Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a mechanically solid 1987 FJ60 with significant rust in the rear quarter panels, but otherwise a really clean body. But, it does have some frame rust that makes me unsure about spending the money to have new panels welded in. What do you think about this rust? Not too bad or run away?

20200601_194614.jpg

20200601_194619.jpg

20200601_194639.jpg

20200601_194651.jpg

20200601_194713.jpg

It's hard to tell for sure with the pix from a potato ....most are not bad...unfortunately the two pictures that show the area of spring hangers for the rear axle and the nearby body mount exhibit very typical east coast frame rot. The spring hangers are starting to blow out from corrosion and the frame aft of them is showing holes.
Its fairly easy to repair that area, but none the less there's issues present.

Looks repairable to me. Are you are willing to spend the money or time to repair it? More details are need to see how bad and extensive the rust really is. Rust is a SOB!

If the rest of the truck is good for sure get that fixed. Not too bad at all, might need a few sections replaced.

None of that would concern me, maybe in a few years you’ll have to fix a few small sections, but it’s definitely solid overall.
Go to a sandblaster that will do the frame while it’s under the truck and hit it with some fresh paint after

A bottle of Ospho, a scraper, chisel, stainless steel toothbrushes, rubber gloves, eye protection, ventilation, linseed oil and rustoleum alkyd oil based brush on paint, lots of elbow grease and time - and you can preserve the frame to last your lifetime.

It doesn't cost much except for work and time

A bottle of Ospho, a scraper, chisel, stainless steel toothbrushes, rubber gloves, eye protection, ventilation, linseed oil and rustoleum alkyd oil based brush on paint, lots of elbow grease and time - and you can preserve the frame to last your lifetime.

I Ospho'd the inside of my 4runner frame but it leaves this white powdery residue that won't rinse off, you have to brush it off with a stiff brush. I couldn't get inside the frame to do that so I painted over it inside the frame. The paint came off any powdery areas and started rusting immediately from the first water exposure. Do you have a suggestion for how to use Ospho in areas where you can't brush off the residue? Like for example in between the sheet metal pieces in the 60 rear wheel well?

The white powdery residue left behind after applying Ospho to rusty steel has to be brushed off prior to painting.
The best way I found to use Ospho is apply it with a paint brush and start scrubbing it with a toothbrush size stainless steel brush if the rust isn't bubbling. Don't let it dry and when you get bored, wipe it off wth a rag while it's still wet, then apply more and continue scrubbing.
Continue doing that back & forth (apply, scrub, wipe) until the rag doesn't pick up any more old rust. By then, the rust will visibly be gone and the steel will look like real metal again- though pitted.
When you're satisfied, wipe it down one last time with water to neutralize the acid then paint it when it's dry or apply several coats of linseed oil over several days.

If the rust is blistering, those need to be taken off with a chisel or scraper.

I wouldn't use Ospho inside of any tube (frame) that I couldn't scrub or wipe. In hopeless inaccessible areas like that, I just sprayed linseed oil in there. It takes days to firm up and in the meantime, it creeps into the pores of the rust, sealing off air & moisture.
It doesn't get rid of it, just puts it in stasis

Poke the frame rails behind the rear spring hangers with a screwdriver, hard. Looks to me like they're rotted through already.

Anything is repairable, given enough time, money and effort.

Also look at 2 other places.
rear shock hangers and the rear C channels. It will give you an idea on how bad.
Overall looks about average for a 33 year old vehicle made with sub par steel.

It doesn't cost much except for work and time
Boiled linseed oil works awesome as a rust inhibitor preventer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom