Frame Rivit Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am giving some thought to pulling my frame completely apart, doing some rust repair and preventive maintainance but I am not sure on how to replace the frame rivits. Has anyone else taken their fram apart? Any suggestions on rivit replacement. I have read where some use grade 8 bolts. Any ideas on bolts?

Thanks

The rivets are 10 mm I think for the smaller ones which is almost exactly 3/8 inch. I had to replace the rear frame motor mount and used 3/8 grade 8 fine thread bolts and red locktite in place of the original rivets. I did run a 3/8 drill through the hole first. I don't know about doing a whole frame like that though.

TN Green said:
I am giving some thought to pulling my frame completely apart, doing some rust repair and preventive maintainance but I am not sure on how to replace the frame rivits. Has anyone else taken their fram apart? Any suggestions on rivit replacement. I have read where some use grade 8 bolts. Any ideas on bolts?

Thanks
Green,

Unless you've got a frame jig I think you'd be asking for trouble if you completely disassemble a frame. You would never get everything realigned exaclty as it's supposed to be unless you have a jig. To replace one particular cross member or motor mount or shock tower or something like that like Drew did shouldn't be a problem. I agree that grade 8 bolts would work. High strength bolts replaced rivets long ago in all strucural steel applications.

Pete

I live in middle TN. Do you know of any place close to acid dip the frame?

Blue77FJ40 said:
Acid dip is a lot easier.

You know anyone that does this DC? Is that place still out in Upper Marlboro?

I know of a place in Richmond but they did a 40 frame for a friend and it did not come out super clean.

thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom