Frame Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm about to start working on my 70, seperate the body/chassis...I want to do it right, and the frame is my biggest concern. It had holes out the back which were cut out and repaired, and the inside was full of the usual crap which is now relativety clean. My question is do I sand blast, acid dip, galvanize, POR-15??? I hear different ideas from differnt people, but this forum for its experience with these vehicles is the best. What do you guys think is the best permanent solution? I do live in the Great White (SALT) North. Thanks fro the help.

Doug

I know there are alot more people on the fourm with way more experience then me on the subject, but personnally after restoring snowmobiles and working on my truck. I think sandblasting is a good, fairly chaep way of getting rid of crud, oil and rust. After a sandblast, acetone/clean everything right away, and prime it all, inside and out. There may be some better tecniques for inside the frame, I don't know. Then POR 15, I also think that no matter where you are, if you have salty winters or not, oiling is a good idea. I like POR because it is the only paint I have ever used, that when you paint snowmobile ski's, it actually stays on, for a while

After your done Krown it right away and do it every year, I honesly think as long as you do that, you will pretty much stop rust permanetly. More or less, and don't be affriad to go in for touch ups on the oil, there are some spot worse then others, and they have no problem doing re applications for free, as long as the spot looks dry.

Cheers
good luck on you restoration, I hope to see alot of pics!

I think those flexible ends for getting the rust proofing goo inside small cavities would also work for spraying primer and other stuff like por-15 inside the frame. It prolly won't look pretty, but who will ever see it?

-kevin

Hello Doug , you are still alive I see ! Have fun drag racing the summer ?

Anyways Argo Coatings in Burnside can pickle it and then galvanize it for you . Pickle it first , fix rust then return it to them and get it galvanized . Make sure you put bolts in all the threaded holes and put nuts on the studs...this makes /keeps all threads clean so you don't have to remove the galvaizeing from them . Paint frame black and you are done . regular rust check or oil undercoating will take care of the rest.

HTH , Daryl

I did a poor mans Zero rust on the rear outside half of mine. I'm pleased with my results for what they are. It's a bitch to get inside a fully boxed frame to do it right.. I'd vote for a dip of some kind...

BJ70/85 said:
I'm about to start working on my 70, seperate the body/chassis...I want to do it right, and the frame is my biggest concern. It had holes out the back which were cut out and repaired, and the inside was full of the usual crap which is now relativety clean. My question is do I sand blast, acid dip, galvanize, POR-15??? I hear different ideas from differnt people, but this forum for its experience with these vehicles is the best. What do you guys think is the best permanent solution? I do live in the Great White (SALT) North. Thanks fro the help. Doug

For a complete boxrail like the 70, and if you are taking everything off...dip, galvanize. Beware...you will be in a pickle if the acid dip brings out swiss cheese; you may find another weak spot or two that needs repair before the galvanize dip.

Otherwise just spray the crap out of it inside and out a couple times a year.

gb

Thanks for the reply guys, I think I'l do the acid dip. The rest of the frame is good. I hit it as hard as I could with a pick hammer, and it just bounces off. But only time will tell if I get "swiss cheeze"

Does anyone out there know where to get that green paint used on the under carriage. I want to put things back to stock as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom