Frame Repair Westchester County, NY (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all. So I took my truck to get the state inspection and it failed because I have some frame rot right at the back shock.

It's going to come off.

Anyone around Westchester County NY (north of NYC) knows of a shop that can do frame repair?

At the back shock cross member? Or at the actual frame? If its the x member cut er out and shove a pipe through there and call it good.

D

At the back shock cross member? Or at the actual frame? If its the x member cut er out and shove a pipe through there and call it good.

D

it says "chassis rotted on rear cross rail where rear shocks attach to frame"

First of all you should get under the truck and take a look for yourself so you know what is really going on. Then take it to a welding shop or a buddy with a welder and have at it. The cross member that the shocks bolt to does tend to rot out and guys usually cut it out completely and replace it. Do a search on here to get the size of pipe youll need, been covered quite a bit.

D

First of all you should get under the truck and take a look for yourself so you know what is really going on. Then take it to a welding shop or a buddy with a welder and have at it. The cross member that the shocks bolt to does tend to rot out and guys usually cut it out completely and replace it. Do a search on here to get the size of pipe youll need, been covered quite a bit.

D

That's my plan for the morning. I just got the truck back tonight and didn't get a chance to get under there with the rain coming down.

I did find that a new crossmember is NLA, so it seems like I have two choices, make one, or get a used one from SOR (not that expensive).

I'll know more when I get under there.

thanks everyone.

Northern Westcheater or southern Westcheater? Crum is a good guy, Cruiserhead, and top notch welder, but I f you can't get your truck that far, there are a couple collision repair shops up Route 22 in Putnam that you could check out. I can't vouch for them, though.

You should also post this request on the GCLC clubhouse board here on Mud. The most active members are in NJ or Long Island, but they know a lot of people, and will probably have some other suggestions.

Honestly man just make one and be done with it. You can cut out the shock mounts that are on the old member then drill holes in the appropriate spots on the new one and weld them in. Theres a couple bends in the stocker but you could probably get away with a straight pipe.

Best bet is to do a search on here and copy whichever approach appeals to you. Best part is this can mostly be done with a grinder and a drill at home before you take it somewhere to get welded on.

D

Where in Westchester are you?
I live just over the border in CT.
Amazingly there is absolutely no inspection required here other than an emissions test every 2 years.
When I had mine emissions tested last year they told me that would be the last as it would be 25 years old soon.

Northern Westcheater or southern Westcheater? Crum is a good guy, Cruiserhead, and top notch welder, but I f you can't get your truck that far, there are a couple collision repair shops up Route 22 in Putnam that you could check out. I can't vouch for them, though.

You should also post this request on the GCLC clubhouse board here on Mud. The most active members are in NJ or Long Island, but they know a lot of people, and will probably have some other suggestions.

I'm in middle westchester. Village called Briarcliff Manor. near Ossining, Sleepy Hollow and Pleasantville.

it seems like my issue might be a very simple one (I took a quick look this morning).

tomorrow might be a better day to take a look and I will have more time.
I will post pics as well.

Where in Westchester are you?
I live just over the border in CT.
Amazingly there is absolutely no inspection required here other than an emissions test every 2 years.
When I had mine emissions tested last year they told me that would be the last as it would be 25 years old soon.

I'm all the way by the Hudson in Briarcliff Manor.

The same thing happens in FL, no inspections down there.

I don't totally disagree with the inspections, even though I try to keep abreast of every detail of my truck, I still (obviously) miss some things.

So. here it is. Its not as bad as I thought. I went the easy route and ordered a used one from Specter Off Road.

I will have my local body shop weld it in.

If I had more time, I would do this myself. But I don't really want to get a ticket for not having my inspection up to date.

The damage is on the passenger side shock.

I think I might as well just change the shocks as well, since I will be in there.

Any suggestions?

1427510408311.jpg

1427510425513.jpg

The shock mount is the messenger... Take a close look at the frame on the entire car. Odds are, it needs some luv too.

The shock mount is the messenger... Take a close look at the frame on the entire car. Odds are, it needs some luv too.

definitely will once the weather warms up.

i foresee some quality time with a wire brush under it to clean it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom