Frame Plugs and undercoat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I went a little crazy with the undercoat when I got my truck getting two seperate applications at two separte places. After putting a tractor muffler on the old girl, I noticed that some of my frame plugs were there and some wern't. To my surprize it is pretty dry (no oil) and full of debris, a little rust mosty dirt (could be from me, LOL) My question is are those frame plugs even good to have on? I blew most of the debris out with the power washer, now I just wanna fill my frame with oil. Think I will just go buy a couple cans of rust check and put them in there. Maybe I will go back to krown for a reapplication!@

well I just spent the better part of my day, blowing, powerwashing and picking debris out of my frame, I think it was almost half full most of the s*** was Maple Keys, buddy must a have driving throught bogs of them, I bet they hold moisture forever. So after getting all that crud out, I just bought 3 cans of rust check in the green bottle and wasted them in there. Boxed frames are a PITA to get s*** out off, but the stregth difference is prolly crazy.

It is a PITA to get crap out of there. I still have some junk in both rails after one day of cleaning them out. I thought I had all the mud when the water ran clear but it wan't the case. I need to park on a steep hill and run water through it and then use the blow gun. I can't even get my little vacuum hose in there. :crybaby:

I know the vacum almost fits, I do really like Krown even on my slightly rusted axles it almosted looked like they were painted black after the Krown, I got my first oiling done at walmart. I think the Krown stuff is far better, although the walmart junk kinda dries to a waxy finish. The guy doing it at both places was needless to say kinda an idiot. First thing I've always done, if they don't let me under there lift, is find a nice dry spot in there parking lots and look at everything, only been one time I havin't went back in a bitched. When I pay 100 bucks for an oiling I expect it to be very oily. The Krown guys are usally more professional than other places, but make sure you take a look yourself, also as I said give you frame rails a good cleaning before you go in and leave all the pulgs out and ask them to do and expecially good job on them.

I love the snow wheeling so thats why I am so crazy about oiling, I like krown because if you do want touch ups for any reason, ie new floor boards, body work, dry spots etc they will do it no questions asked unless your year is up of course. I got mine done in St. Thomas, Ontario. I don't think there is anyone on the board that lives around here as the guy at krown had never seen a BJ before.

cheers
Eric

Here is how I have cleaned my frames and seems to do an ok job.

1. Pull all plugs from frame
2. Power wash from all holes in frame this is to losen up what is flaking off the frame.
3. Let dry.
4. Blow air from the ends working toward the middle of the frame.
5. Plug all holes and blow the ends as best as possible
6. Hook up vacum to holes closest to center and suck out as much debris as possible.
7. Unplug holes and repeat processes if needed.

Granted a PITA but is does seem to work.

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom