frame off progress (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been a while since I last posted, my computer finaly went kaput after all those years. Got alot done with the new cruiser in the past few weeks. I got the body sitting up on blocks/planks now, I jacked it up and pulled the frame out. Everybody said it was impossible, but one day I just did it. Had to jack up the body untill I could see between the frame and body, then insert planks. Put the blocks out far enough to clear the frame and planks high enough to clear the 33s. Used two jacks in the front and two in the rear, had to lift the body quite a bit, over a foot easy.
Now my frame is in the best local welding shop getting repaired. Ive been picking at the body as well, its not that bad except for the rear lower hatch. I painted the grille charcoal grey and been cleaning the underneath of this thing, its gross under there.
Today I promise I'll take pics of both cruisers, but only with a cell phone cam. Didn't set up the card reader on this computer yet but shouldnt be a prob. I'll go in town and take pics of the frame too.
Hildy

you don't want bad pics of this project mans, go down and get decent digital camera, i just got kodaks easy care at fred meyers on sale for 179.00, Ithink you'll be sorry later if yo don't, trust me I wish I had pics of my restored bronco..

Danville PA......as in right next to Lewisburg?

If Sooo.... I grew up in Northumberland Pa about 10 miles away from Danville. I bought my Fj-60 up in Williamsport while going to school its been all down hill since then :D

Anywho, I still have a brother that lives in Lewisburg...He has a Fj40 and runs with an Fj55 in Norry...

I will be up for Thanksgiving and we are planning a run to Paragon for a day. You are more than welcome to wheel or just shoot the s***/working on cruisers with me and my bro...

-Al :beer:

I'll be doing mine here in Central America in a month with a total frame swap. I found a clean, straight, rust free frame here. I'd like to know time involved in doing the swap.

missyc, I almost had a nikkon coolpix for $300, I forget the series, 9000 or something. But this camera on my dad's cell is actually better than our old digital camera! Its 1.something mp.

lowtide, yeah, Im outside of Danville half way to Milton. Thats cool you're from around here, I would have never guessed. You must have went to PennTech. I've met the guy with the 55 in Norry, but didn't get to see his cruisers yet. He said he would help me make some rock sliders and maybe cut and turn for SO.

cruiserguy, the swap will be well worth the time invested. It took me about 2 months to tear the frame out from mine, and I only really put in some decent hours the first week. This was all by myself except for removing the seats. I think with help it could be done in a week. Not yet sure about putting it back together though.
Hildy

Hildy,
I will be up in a few weeks and if me and my brother having nothing better to do we will bring the cruisers over and help ya with the frame off.. :beer: :beer:

and look out man winter is coming :eek:

-Al :beer:

Hildy said:
cruiserguy, the swap will be well worth the time invested. It took me about 2 months to tear the frame out from mine, and I only really put in some decent hours the first week. This was all by myself except for removing the seats. I think with help it could be done in a week. Not yet sure about putting it back together though.
Hildy

Are you gutting it completely or just pulling the frame to repair it? Im my case it will be only the frame as the remainder of the truck is pretty good. I've kept on top of the rust but there is only so much you can do to the frame until it begins to be a patchwork and unsafe in my book.

This is where I ended up with mine. Here is a bit of advise for you. Take every bolt and nut and screw you take off and when you are completely finished with the dissasembly take the whole bucket to a metal refinisher and have all of it cleaned and re yellow cad plated. My bucket had everything in it including hood hinges et al. Total cost $35. $ well spent.
resto7.jpg

Im not gutting it completely, just making it easier to fix the frame, suspension, and exhaust. The rest of the truck is awsome(engine/tranny/driveline/body/interior) Its stripped similarly to the one in that pic.
Thanks for the tip on the bolts, but theres tons of other crap I need to do first.
The patchwork should be safe as new according to the guy doing mine, they fix rotted out frames all the time. To me it looks bad but he tells me its not.

To prevent rust the welder told me to coat the inside of the frame with motor oil. There is a gun for an air compressor that can spray it like a mist. Do it twice a year to keep out the rust. I'll definately be doing that to my 89 and the 88 when its done.
Hildy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom