Frame-Off FJ40 FST 1984 with full tub replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As the lock down still continues it will take again a month longer before the Full tub will finally leave for shipping.

Had some NOS and Funny goodies laying around to finish the FJ40 road worthy for the time being

FJ40 1984 Blue Rattle Can.jpg

As close a year later we are again already a month in full lockdown.

It has been a while before finally the goods arrived, first the box with Body parts

FJ40 New Tub in Box .png

Last edited:
So is the picture in the upper post the current state of your 84 or is it closer to the picture in the lower post?

Are the replacement tub, windshield, doors and bows being made locally on the island or coming from Columbia? If that isn't your new tub (cowl looks like a different cruiser) I would get one with a transmission hump made like this View attachment 2271225
to make it easier to add one of these later.View attachment 2271232

I took on the advice of @Living in the Past

Last edited:
Found original 1983/1984front axle with front disc and full float rear axle as also the FJ40 1983/1984 5 speed complete with cover plate etc.

Thank you for the advice @Living in the Past, because when you do it you might as well do it at once

FJ40 5 speed and FF.png

Last edited:
As our climate here is very tropical so most of the time we have nice sunny weather, I always liked the split windshield a lot, after many years of searching I finally found a nice one, !! Thank you all for the help !! and ofcourse it's going on this 40

FJ40 Split windscreen -1.png

The windshield came without windows, but the hard top side glass on the latest model 40's can just be made to fit

FJ40 Split windscreen -2.png

Last edited:
As our climate here is very tropical so most of the time we have nice sunny weather, I always liked the split windshield a lot, after many years of searching I finally found a nice one, !! Thank you all for the help !! and ofcourse it's going on this 40

View attachment 2653266

The windshield came without windows, but the hard top side glass on the latest model 40's can just be made to fit

View attachment 2653274

Not safe to use trempered side glass as a windshield , get some laminated windshield cut to fit your split frame

Not safe to use trempered side glass as a windshield , get some laminated windshield cut to fit your split frame
Im in agree Jim, thank you !

Over the weekend the tub was cleaned, degreased and sprayed with PPG epoxy primer

It's good to have a complete new tub as lipstick on a FJ40

FJ40 Tub Epoxy-03.png

FJ40 Tub Epoxy-05.png

FJ40 Tube Epoxy-06.png

FJ40 Tub Epoxy-02.png

FJ40 Tub Epoxy-01.png

Last edited:
Not sure what hump that is but not like what Toyota did in 10/82+. Appears your inspection cover is for the 1/79-9/82. The two have different footprint and height is higher on most the front and along the right side. Personally would install the transmission and then the tub before you do your final paint. I see a fat transmission shift cane and what looks like a 70 series transfer shifter. Those two I would may all your final tweaking first. Especially the transfer may end up in a different location. The stock transfer case shifter was back on the H55F compared to the H41/H42.
IMG_20180901_170805565.jpg
IMG_20180901_170503727.jpg

Most of the transmission clearance issues are resolved with the 1/82+ inspection cover. Then just the section infront of the inspection needs to be a little higher.
I have the correct shifter for the 40 series H55F except the bend on the transmission cane for RHD. I acquired a second 40 series H55F top plate. For that one been experimenting with other shifters. If you have a LHD 70 series shifter will only be a little off because it was from a 3F bellhousing or other that was clocked to the right. Best I done is is RHD 70 series which because of the clocked bellhousing is slightly more to the left when used with earlier bellhousing. At least on a 84 your already set up with the crossmember for transmission mount.

Who made that tub

The tub was made in much thicker material then original.

It might have some flaws, but that makes up for the fact that there are no rust spots and no patches at ali.

It's made in a beautiful country in South America by, in my opinion, skillfull people.

Although my other 40' series trucks have all original close as rust free tubs, I have to say that building this "fake" 40 with it's new aftermarket tub and body parts is a lot of fun also.

Last edited:
@Living in the Past

Thank you for your info and explanation I will certainly take your advice, preparation is key

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom