Frame mounted vibration damper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After a major reduction in cabin noise and vibrations after removing my side steps I decided to see what happens if I took off the frame mounted vibration damper. The answer is not much. I couldn’t really tell a difference with it off so it looks like the side steps were the source of my vibrations. The nuts and bolts that held them on were just snug enough so they wouldn’t fall off. Even with spending a majority of it’s past life in Connecticut the hardware was easily removed with my small 1/4 drive ratchet. If anyone is fighting with drone/vibration noise at idle I would check your side step hardware or just take them off if you don’t need them. If anyone in SoCal wants my frame mounted damper send me a DM.

Almost 7 and a 1/2 pounds for the damper. Between this and my side steps my truck is down 44.5 pounds.

C17EA659-986C-4410-B691-3B8ADD936582.jpeg

When I took mine off for a few months, my exhaust drone while stopped in gear at red lights around 600 rpms would get louder and louder until I had to put it in neutral to stop the effect. When I put it back on, it's just a low steady bass note type hum that doesn't build and get louder. It seems to be doing its job for me.

When I took mine off for a few months, my exhaust drone while stopped in gear at red lights around 600 rpms would get louder and louder until I had to put it in neutral to stop the effect. When I put it back on, it's just a low steady bass note type hum that doesn't build and get louder. It seems to be doing its job for me.
I’ll have to see if anything changes over time but the few errands I’ve done since removing it I haven’t noticed any new annoyance.

I ripped that thing out 10 years ago. Never noticed any differences. I’ve always wondered if it’s something to do with slight, normal variations in how the trucks are built that warranted installing them. But, for me, it was really irrelevant/useless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom