Frame mount pins? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok so how bad would it be to replace the frame pins with reg bolts?

I'm refering to the frame mounts for the springs on a 1975 fj40

I'm tired of hammering and about to just cut them out and put regular bolts in until I can buy the right pins....I'll try to get a pic up here in a min

Thanks
Brandon

so heres a pic

cimg00725ni.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

grab them with big channel locks and unthread them.

can't no channel locks....and they aren't turning

HEAT! I burned mine out with a propane torch. Stinks, but it works.

Ed

....yeah....no torch either...I'm hammering out the pins to re-use them but if I heat them then I'd be worried about their tempering being affected....is it that big of a deal to use standard grade 8 bolts instead?

Thanks
Brandon

the prob is on end has a big hole. i suppose you could use a washer or something. youll see when you get that things out, i use a big hammer and a rachet extension.

Macgyver5 said:
....yeah....no torch either...I'm hammering out the pins to re-use them but if I heat them then I'd be worried about their tempering being affected....is it that big of a deal to use standard grade 8 bolts instead?

Thanks
Brandon

You just need enough heat to melt the rubber. HEAT.

HawkDriver said:
You just need a bigger hammer my friend, seriously. Friggin sledge hammer if need be.

But use a block of wood or better yet a brass drift so you don't bugger up the threaded end! That is if you want to reuse them.

Ed

HEAT!!!!!

Degnol said:
But use a block of wood or better yet a brass drift so you don't bugger up the threaded end! That is if you want to reuse them.

Ed

HEAT!!!!!

Yes, brass is good. I'd just replace em if the little jerks were giving me that much trouble coming out. Just me.

Macgyver5 said:

Thanks
Brandon

Get a torch....hardwear store has one that will work for you....don't breathe the smoke...

Frame pins with distemper are a real pain to deal with.... ;)

Well-placed heat is your friend. You will not do enough damage to the temper of the frame pin to cause concern, provided you do not make the steel liquid. Burning out the bushings is a very viable way to do this and has been done by many people for many years. Beating on the frame pin will likely cause it to become loose in the plate it is pressed into.

Once you get the pins out, you certainly can knock the pin part out of the plate that it is pressed into and use a bolt with the plate. I welded a 9/16” fine thread bolts into the front spring pin plates on the Red truck. Been that way for years. Works fine.

Good luck!

-Steve

so yeah...I borrowed a pair of channel locks and twisted / hammered/ pried them out.....so I've got the rear springs on....now to drop the fronts out and put them on....I still need to find a inexpensive brake line and possibly shims for the front....does anyone know the part # for a 22" brake line at Kragen?.....and anywhere that I might could get the shims without ordering them online.....wishful thinking maybe but it's worth a shot...

Thanks for the help!
-Brandon-

Okay... I know the melting rubber trick works, but I found it easier to:

Use a high lift between the frame rails and push out the pins with the jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom