Frame is all welded up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Today I got the '88 back from the welding shop. I took the body off for all the repairs, so it was a fairly easy job for them. They put 15 plates on there, and it cost me $195 for the welding. Pretty good deal, eh. It almost cost me that to have it towed there and back. Boy is she solid now though.
Now I can start putting her all back together. I'm thinking about filling the frame with foam to keep dirt and water out of there. What are your guys thoughts on that?
Theres about a million little things that need fixed too, but I'm concentrating on the more important stuff for now. First off Im going to coat the frame and any rust I see with TRC rust inhibitor, then a couple good solid coats of POR-15. I'm a painter by profession, so its all getting brushed.
I just need to take it one thing at a time, so it seems less overwhelming. Old man winter is right around the corner too. :doh:

Excellent! I did the same sort of thing on my 40. I think I spent twice as much time cleaning and painting the frame then I did taking the whole thing apart and putting it back together.

Pics would be great!

Cool man, I did all welding work with the body still on. It wasnt a lot of fun. PA seems to eat frames like theres no tomorrow. It would be cool to see it, I will be up your way Nov. 23rd i think...We are also taking a wheeling trip to Paragon....you are more than welcome to come...

-Al

DON'T fill the frame with spray in foam. There will ALWAYS be space around it that the elements can get into and cause rust.

cruiser_guy said:
DON'T fill the frame with spray in foam. There will ALWAYS be space around it that the elements can get into and cause rust.

SUPER BIG ditto
my PO did this.......and i'm dealing with it.

one area of the frame he filled with the crap, that's the one rusty spot.

also the filled square section in the tub(40 series), yeap rusty as all he!!.

foam collectrs moisture. dont do it kinda a common sense thing not to do something like that!!

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it. It was actually my dad's suggestion on the foam thing. Figured I'd check with you folks first. Scrap that idea.
Lowtide, we'll definately have to hook up while you are visiting. You can check out my cruisers and property and maybe have a couple brews down at the pond. I've been to paragon once with my friends to watch Nueroc. Place is sweet. I would like to see how my beat stock rig would do over there. Drop me a pm when you're coming up.

Well if its a super beat rig and ya dont care we can weld up the sider gears before we go....so you would have some lincon lockers.

I dont think it will be too extreme becuase Junks 45 isnt that built yet. My brothers rig is up and out of the way but its un-geared and will be fun smelling the clutch...I think a sammy is following us up as well so we should be dragging that thing over pebbles. Nothing to hard core just some fun wheeling...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom