Frame Dimensions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
I am wondering if anyone out there would be able to get me Fj80 frame dimensions. I'm interested in as many different numbers as you have. Mostly I'm looking for rail spacing, max and min rail cross section. Any pictures of a bare frame or rolling chassis would be really cool as well. Thanks.

--ASH

I'm thinking of building up a hybrid. Have pretty much decided on using fj80 axles, and probably an old land rover body that I have. Just trying to figure out the frame. I was thinking of the using an fj80 frame because it seems to have a better stock suspension design than any rovers I've looked at. So, I'm just trying to figure out what the most appropriate frame would be.

--ASH

Hey aaron,
let me post back later and see if I have the proper factory specs on a frame set in my frame machines database. The only question is what model year frame are you looking at, there is very little difference between the 91-97 model years but there will be some discrepancies in the suspension mount and body mount areas. post back with model year and I will try to pull it up then.
Dave :beer:

I was thinking of using an fj80 frame because it seems to have a better stock suspension design than any rovers I've looked at.

Let's see, you wanna 80 frame, axles and suspension. ::)
Why not just make it easy on yourself and build a Cruiser? You already know that they have superior axles, frame strength, suspension, yada yada yada. I could go on but you probably get the point. Do you have a really bitchin strait bodied aluminum British thing that you just can't seem to get rid of and can't do without the awesome Lucas electronics? If all you have is a body then why would you want that to be your starting point? If it's like an old 110 than why not use everything you have and just through in a G.M. drivetrain to a set of Dana 60's and be done with it? Sorry I don't mean to be snide or snooty but its kinda like putting a sack on Cindy Crawford’s mug. If you’re lucky enough to bang her why would you want to cover it up. Besides gravy parts like that should be left with Cruiser dudes...

Phaedrus,
I'm probably looking at a '94 frame. Any dimensions you have would be appreciated.

Moralien,
Ok, I now realize that I shouldn't have mentioned anything about a Land Rover on a Toyota website. I personally don't have any loyalties when it comes to manufacturers. That said I'm planning on using a Rover body for a few different reasons. First, they are primarily aluminum. I live in the northeast, and most sheet metal here gets rusty after 5-10 years. Aluminum just has better resistance to salt, etc. Also, an aluminum body is going to be lighter weight. Next, Land Rover bodies are very simple. I'm planning on doing a fair bit of body modifications, starting with fewer complex curves will be a great help. As far as 60's go, I'm personally not a huge fan. Yes they are beefy, yes they are popular. However, they are also heavy, crudely made, and only have a single u-joint in the steering knuckle. I'm looking for a rig that will be good on and off road. I'm not interested in a front axle that will make the truck buck and jump while turning sharp corners in four wheel drive. As for Lucas electrics, I never mentioned how it was going to be wired. I could go on, but suffice it to say that I'm only looking for a little tech information. I'm planning this project out slowly, to my personal tastes.

--ASH

aaron
will try to download specs in the morning, my machine is havig issues.

Here are a couple from the 1994 FSM

dim1.jpg

dim2.jpg

Ok I give
Chiris you are cooler than I am. Aaron let me know if you need more info but the fsm diagram has more info than my database.

Aaron:

Sounds like a very cool project - please come back and post some pics during the build process! While I love my truck, I also really like LR :eek:

I drive by a very rare - at least in Canada - LR Crew Cab on my way home and I LOVE the look of it and would love to own it (not as a daily driver). If had a had a bit more cash (does anyone not say this?), I would stop and offer the guy some $$ to buy it! I dropped by Rovers North a few months ago and had a great time.

Cheers, Hugh

Well Aaron you got quite a project there. My buddy has a 87 Range Rover and I can tell you the bodies aren't all that great. First the floor is steel, the hatch is steel and the tail gate is steel. Have you heard of electrolisys?. The bodies un like a Cruiser's are dead weight and add no structural strength. A LCs body is reinforced steel and when bolted to the frame adds stiffness. Stand alone the Rover frame is stronger than a LCs because of internal webbing in the box frame. Son if you are going to use a Rover body it would work best on a Rover frame. Also the Rover has trussed axles as does the LC. Sounds to me your building a non-resellable money pit.

Good-Luck

Chris,
Thanks for the info. That's more dimensions than I could haave hoped for.

Dave,
Looks like Chris beat you to the punch. Thanks anyway.

Landtank,
I'm not using a Range Rover because they have so much steel. They are basically a steel bodyshell with a few aluminum panels here and there. The older Land Rovers were built much differently.
I believe you were talking about Galvanic Corrosion, not electrolysis. Electrolysis is a process to remove rust or hair depending upon who you are talking to.

--ASH

I believe you were talking about Galvanic Corrosion, not electrolysis.   Electrolysis is a process to remove rust or hair depending upon who you are talking to.  

Maybe the point Tank was trying to make was if you started out with any hair on your head your not likely to keep it after a PITA project like this. :-*

Take the best parts from a Landcruiser and the best parts from a Landrover - put them all together and what have you got? A Landcruiser.   :slap:

HOLY CHIT! I can't belive I just saw those words typed by a Brit :bow:
Spoken like a true Cruiser Head....
Cheers :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom