Frame Dimension of the HDJ 80 frame (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi!

Does anyone know weather or not the frame of the 80 Series is comparable to the frame of the Heavy Duty 7 Series?

I measures the frame of the two framrails of a HZJ 75 Pickup, it was aroun 145x55mm with a material thickness of about 3.5-to 4mm. Boxed of course.

Is the 80 Series frame closeley that strong? And what about the HZJ 105 frame, is it really the completely same as the 80?

Greetings

Thank you for that Information!

But in which way differs the chassis in Numbers? You can increase the stiffness or durability in general bei increasing the outer dimensions of the frame OR by increasing the material thickness - which one had be done?

So the HZJ 105 chassis is not the exact same as the 80's???

Thank you for that Information!

But in which way differs the chassis in Numbers? You can increase the stiffness or durability in general bei increasing the outer dimensions of the frame OR by increasing the material thickness - which one had be done?

So the HZJ 105 chassis is not the exact same as the 80's???

Dimension wise the 105 and 80 frames are almost exactly the same.

The body mounts are quite different to accommodate the large body of the 100 series body.

Axle housings the same, panhards, control arms, all the same. Different hubs studs, 5 lugs, manual hubs up front, part time transfer, H151F tranny and either the 1FZ/1HZ/1HD-FTE.
HDJ80_FRAME_1990.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,

ok now we got two different answers, on stating the 105 is diffrent (and tougher) and one that it is the same, the last onbe beeing what was my latest information too.

But still: If the frame is stronger than the 7 series in which way do the dimen sions differ????

Ok because i also am not really convinced the 80's frame is tougher than an heavy duty 7 series frame, since the 7 series frame got those nice round crossbars weldet trough both the inner and outer part of the boxed frame, while the 80 series looks like the crossmembers are just weldet to the inside rail:

compare fpr yourself:

80:

http://www.rmp-o.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=20119&g2_serialNumber=2

http://www.rmp-o.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=19826&g2_serialNumber=2

75:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~mtjs/My 75s/Chassis Paint/PA300002.JPG

What are you planning to do with the truck that it matters? I haven't seen many "frame failed" posts in the 80's section, do you feel it's a weak point?

Oh gosh no, the J80 is one of the toughest vehicles in its class, no doubt!

But i really like to compare frames, since this is a topic which does not got too much attention in the last years as far as i can tell.

And especially when it comes to 8-series vs. 7-series, the opinions do differ extremely, i once talked to a guy in the armouring industry and he said the 7 series frame was better, then you have people like above saying the exact diffrent thing, which is why i loike to take a look on the numbers since they are not influenced by the proudness of an owner.

Greetings

The 75 chassis in your pic is designed to be flexible. It has leaf springs. We used to fit tow bars to them in mines even though they would never tow a trailer, as the outside C sections of the chassis would crack at the very back, as the chassis would twist so much when the vehicle was crossed up. eg when 2 diagonally opposite wheels were in the air. The tow bar was like an extra cross member, at the very back.
An 80 crossed up flexes more in the suspension and less in the chassis. Hey - they crack in different places.
I could not say 1 was stronger than than the other, but Id rather coil springs all round.
As for the proudness of the owner, I used to have a 75 (in my avitar). Theres a 79. an 80, a 100 and a 105 parked outside (and GU patrol) now
Cheers
Matt

Last edited:
Dimension wise the 105 and 80 frames are almost exactly the same.

The body mounts are quite different to accommodate the large body of the 100 series body.

Axle housings the same, panhards, control arms, all the same. Different hubs studs, 5 lugs, manual hubs up front, part time transfer, H151F tranny and either the 1FZ/1HZ/1HD-FTE.
View attachment 690298
Hi Ben
Do you have the frame dimension diagram for a 1996 80?
I am doing a complete frame off, frame up resto and I want to check straightness.Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom