Frame crossmember hacked out!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
During my whole frame-off resto Ive found the round crossmember behind the t-case has been hacked out......is this of utmost importance to reinstall?? Does it have to be the round "whoop" or can it just be a generic crossmember?? I use my rig 90% off-road......so whats the word??? THANKS!

I would reinstall something back there. Toyota didnt install one for no reason :)

Seriously though, if you are using this thing as an off road rig, I would think you would want it to stiffen up the chasis, and flex out the suspension. Do you need one for mounting a transmission? What engine/tranny/case combo are you running?

My vote would be to add it back in.

Just my .02

Rezarf <><

i think your definitely going to have to put some kind of support back in there. if your spending that much time offroad i would suggest something slightly beefier than stock.

I'd put something in there to keep the frame from flexing/opening up. Mine opened up about 1/2" when I cut it out to slide it back for room when installing a NV4500 .

Nocents

I cut mine out and fabbed a bolt-in replacement. The reason so many of them get hacked is to get at t/c, pto's or to make tranny removal easier or something along those lines. I bent a larger thick walled pipe/tube to match original contour, welded 1/8" plate to the ends and bolted back into it's original place with good grade 8 or 10 bolts. Next time I gotta do something under there...easy. oh yeah...thanks for the good advice Mark.

Anyone got a solid number measurement frame to frame where it should be? Just in case mine has "opened" up a bit? Appreciate it!

I cut out the the tube and never put anything in it place. Never had a problem. Although the rear channel and shock bar that runs across the frame and the front cross member were all welded in place. I think thats more than sufficient.

You are talking about the torque tube. This tube goes through the inner and outer frame. This tube helps the frame spring back into is natural shape after the frame and suspension has been flex in some way. Once this tube has been cut out you lose its function for ever. If you weld or bolt something back in, it will just be a cross member even if you go though both inner and outer frames. Most hardcore wheeler cut this tube out to install longer drive train, like a toybox or automatic transmissions.

I also cut mine out years ago with no problems but I'm still running the f engine and bellhousing. When the v8 swap happens I will loose the rear motor mounts so I will fab a crossmember then for sure.

TinBox said:
You are talking about the torque tube. This tube goes through the inner and outer frame. This tube helps the frame spring back into is natural shape after the frame and suspension has been flex in some way. Once this tube has been cut out you lose its function for ever. If you weld or bolt something back in, it will just be a cross member even if you go though both inner and outer frames. Most hardcore wheeler cut this tube out to install longer drive train, like a toybox or automatic transmissions.

Wow, thanks for answering a long held question as to why that thing was thru the frame...makes sense when someone tells it. I guess eight measly bolts won't perform that function...all that work for maybe nuthin? I s'pose another cross member doesn't hurt? As I recall, the tube I cut was longer in the rear than the front by about 1/4" in 3". I measured before and after cutting it out and no change, but it had been cut and welded (sort of) by the po. I just cut one end with the correct angle, bolted in my end plates and layed under there and ground the other end to fit tight, then tacked it up etc... If no one gives a measurement by Monday I can post what I ended up with front and rear. I'll be out 'till then.

Once AGAIN you guys kick ass. Thanks for the info!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom