FOX Shocks in a fj60. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi hello,

I have been a ih8mud spectator for many years. It has helped a lot.
Usually, I am very good using the search but this time I was not able to find out what I am looking for.
I understand that FOX shocks don't have a specific set for the 60 series.

Nevertheless, from their universal options, I was wondering if someone could point me to FOX shocks options/references that could fit a 2,5inches lifted fj60 from 1982.

Please notice, I am from Europe, considering all import and tax costs for other brands, FOX becames not that expensive as there is a store in Germany.

Thanks for the assistance, if I am guided to an existing thread with the answer I will delete this one.

When a taller spring pack is installed, the frame bump stops should be dropped approximately the same distance with a spacer to prevent the shocks from bottoming out before the bump stops can do their job — breaking the attachment studs - and the rear cross member.

Too long of a shock will bottom out and break the attachment studs, while too short of a shock will hang up the axle on full drop, limiting suspension travel. It'll also stress the shock and studs when it runs out of free travel.

You can measure your suspension travel when frame is lifted to fully relax the springs off the ground.
Measure from shock attachment locations on bottom spring plate and cross bar stud when springs are drooping.
Then set weight back down on vehicle and measure the distance from the top of the axle housing to the end of the bump stop minus 1-1/2 inches to account for the bump stop compression hitting a big bump.

Then measure that distance straight up from the lower shock stud on the spring plate. That will show you where the bottom of the shock will be at full compression.

Then from that imaginary point in space, measure the diagonal to the shock cross bar attachment stud. That distance will be the maximum length the shock can be when it's compressed without bottoming out the shock. Subtract an inch or so for good measure.

All shocks have specifications for maximum and minimum length. I'm sure the Fox shocks do to- just got to snoop around and find them.

You'll likely not find a perfect shock that fits within your travel limits. If so, choose the shorter of the two choices. It's better to have a shock hang up the suspension at full drop than to bottom out at full compression.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom