Fox shocks for 80 series dead? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have Fox shocks and while the front is nice and stable the rear is not contr
They were being used for daily driving and lots of offroading. They saw alot of fast nasty washboard roads along with all other kinds of trails and terrains. They didn't seem to ride any better than the old man emu or iron man shocks that I have experienced and they certainly didn't hold up as well.

I figure fox shocks did not design a shock for our rigs specifically other than the way it mounts and the length. I bet they just wanted to build a cheap shock that could fit as many vehicles as possible so they could make money of the fox shock name. On the other hand I feel that companies like OME and Iron man are designing their products specifically for the 80 series.
I agree with @leonard_nemoy . I've had the Fox 2.0 shocks since March of 2017. They are just higher quality generic shocks with approximately the right sizing for the Land Cruiser with a lift. New, they were cheap and better than the blown out Bilsteins they replaced. With the Fox shocks, I could bomb down fireroads and technical offroad was good. 30K miles later and the ride is sloppy and bouncy. For a budget shock they aren't bad but I'm more frustrated with the sizing. I have a 3" lift in the front and a 4" lift in the rear. The 3 to 4" shocks are too short for the 3" lift in the front and the 3 to 5" shocks are too long for the 4" lift in the rear.

Probably due for shocks when I can afford it. I heavily considered these, but if they aren't available might replace with a new set of OMEs.

Anybody have experience with the Icon 2.0/Stage 1 shocks? I just replaced coils with new heavies from OME.

Probably due for shocks when I can afford it. I heavily considered these, but if they aren't available might replace with a new set of OMEs.

Anybody have experience with the Icon 2.0/Stage 1 shocks? I just replaced coils with new heavies from OME.
I reached out to ICON for compressed and extended lengths of their stage 1 shocks. I was told that shock length is proprietary information but they would be glad to take my money so I could have set for myself to measure.

I reached out to ICON for compressed and extended lengths of their stage 1 shocks. I was told that shock length is proprietary information but they would be glad to take my money so I could have set for myself to measure.
WOW! That crosses ICON shocks right off my list. I am looking to replace some 10 year old Bilstein (4600s, I think). I added 30mm spring spacers, so I'd like to make sure I am replacing the Bilsteins with something that would provide the right length with this very small lift. Anyone have any other recommendations for a slightly longer than stock shock?

I have had the Fox 2.0’s with remote resi’s for about 8 years. They were valved by DSM. I haven’t had any problems with them. They are probably due for a refresh though. I think for the money you can’t beat the OME Nitros.

Thats a real bummer.

Last edited:
WOW! That crosses ICON shocks right off my list. I am looking to replace some 10 year old Bilstein (4600s, I think). I added 30mm spring spacers, so I'd like to make sure I am replacing the Bilsteins with something that would provide the right length with this very small lift. Anyone have any other recommendations for a slightly longer than stock shock?
ICON is a MUD vendor and actively helping out @NLXTACY with his turbo kit. They were on my short list and I considered dumping my Dobinson springs and Fox shocks for a full kit from ICON. I've read a few reports that the Stg1 doesn't hold weight well so I was interested in just shocks but need dimensions to make sure they work.

We don't our spec are proprietary and engineering holds on to them. If you can get me the specs that you are looking for I can pass them along to engineering to see if they would work or not.
Chuck Graves

I wasn't real happy with the response.

Shock length being proprietary engineering info does not compute and is a stupid thing to even attempt to hold back. Id not buy ever based just on that.

ICON is a MUD vendor and actively helping out @NLXTACY with his turbo kit. They were on my short list and I considered dumping my Dobinson springs and Fox shocks for a full kit from ICON. I've read a few reports that the Stg1 doesn't hold weight well so I was interested in just shocks but need dimensions to make sure they work.

We don't our spec are proprietary and engineering holds on to them. If you can get me the specs that you are looking for I can pass them along to engineering to see if they would work or not.
Chuck Graves

I wasn't real happy with the response.

Just to clarify, I just used Dylan’s 80 for the turbo build. It was ICON sanctioned nor assisted. It was just Dylan’s truck.

I do have some!!! Thanks for the tag! 0-2" lift Fox 2.0 for front and rear of the lC80

and to @leonard_nemoy post, we have found that the valving and ride quality of the FOX 2.0 shocks is far better than the OME / Iron Man shocks on all conditions we drive in. Same feed back from 10+ customers we have upgraded out of OME shocks on the 80 series platform.

Last edited:
I had fox shocks on my truck and my buddy had icons on his, we both liked the fox ride better than the icon fwiw, the fox shocks were smoother in all types of terrain.

I had fox shocks on my truck and my buddy had icons on his, we both liked the fox ride better than the icon fwiw, the fox shocks were smoother in all types of terrain.

That is what I hear from friends that have them and also driving one myself, I personally liked it. I don't care about brands. Could be Ranchos or Radflo shocks, overall quality for the price point is what matters imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom