Four Peaks Pickup Saturday February 7th 2009 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.ahimsawellness.com
I just got an email from Tim (some of you may know him as SOAZ) who organized the AMAZING clean-up at Four Peaks last year....well he has decided to do it again!!! Saturday February 7th

From last year:
Over 250 people from all walks of life came together on February 9th 2008 to clean up a high use, off highway area near Phoenix, AZ. More than 7 tons of trash were picked up and 30 clubs represented.
The idea to do something about the mess came to a group of local outdoor enthusiasts recently. The Four Peaks area, north east of Phoenix, is a beautiful natural area that hosts all sorts outdoor lovers. The sight of burnt out cars, water heaters, TV’s and computers in addition to loads of smaller trash prompted them to act.

Groups from all walks of life were contacted and the response was nothing short of amazing! Clubs, companies, online forums and enthusiasts offered their support to make a difference. Included in the volunteers were groups of responsible four wheelers, shooters, hunters, hikers, mountain bikers, dirt bikers, and general outdoor enthusiasts.
The day started out with over 250 volunteers signing in and heading out to one of 10 pre-mapped targeted clean up areas with trash bags in hand and trailers in tow. The support kept pouring in all day! There were even a few Harley’s and Mercedes that made the trek out the dirt road to the clean-up! The dumpsters were filled and a large pile of trash began to form at the clean up headquarters.

After hours of filling bags, loading up trailers, and meeting great people the volunteers headed back to the pickup headquarters for burgers donated by Border Construction Specialties.

Not long after, the give away commenced. An impressive array of prizes from concerned companies were handed out including items from: Racer Offroad, The Good Gun Foundation, SDHQ Offroad, Total Chaos Fabrication, Icon Vehicle Dynamics, Overland Journal, Overland Video, and Sierra Expeditions.

The Forest service was able to donate the use of dumpsters for the event and even provided trash bags! Also, several Maricopa County Sheriff Officers were in attendance to participate as well. The Maricopa Sheriff sponsored rock buggy, built by Hunter Offroad, was a huge hit with the crowds and everyone appreciated them being there to keep it safe and fun!

FourPeaksPickup08055.jpg

1-6-084peaks010.jpg

FourPeaksPickup08094.jpg

FourPeaksPickup08098.jpg

FourPeaksThankyou.jpg

So...lets do it again this year!! Tim is already working hard to get more donations for the raffle this year and for supplies for the event and hopefully to feed everyone again!! This really is an amazing feat, and anyone who has been out to Four Peaks knows how busy and trashed it can get....not only that but this is the only local event I know of where EVERYONE from the outdoor community gets together to help the environment without pointing fingers.

Times have not been announced yet but expect to be there early! Put it on your calendar now! Lets make a huge effort and showing!!
IF YOU ONLY GO TO ONE CLEAN UP NEXT YEAR IT SHOULD BE THIS ONE!!!
Saturday February 7th

For more details as they become available: Four Peaks Pickup 2009

AZFJ has committed to getting 100 FJ's out there for this event! So if you are going to be in Phoenix this weekend, come on out!! Chances of a post event trail run through the area ending at the Pavilions car show Saturday night are very good!!

I love seeing all the yellow shirts represented! I I'm in town I'm down to do it again...

in my back yard im in ,:bounce: got a lil trailer to tote around an help carry stuff ......kids are in cub scouts ill see if i can get more than just our den out there!!

Im in... we're in... I'll work on a food sponsor again...

Is Tim/SOAZ gonna push this on other boards too?I haven't seen this anywhere else?

I love seeing all the yellow shirts represented! I I'm in town I'm down to do it again...
I loved seeing all of the yellow shirts there last year. Bring it on!

in my back yard im in ,:bounce: got a lil trailer to tote around an help carry stuff ......kids are in cub scouts ill see if i can get more than just our den out there!!
I know another scout leader. I think the more scouts out there the better. Its a great family day.

That would be fantastic!
Heidi, You rock!!!

Is Tim/SOAZ gonna push this on other boards too?I haven't seen this anywhere else?
Yep, going to. I need everyones help this year to post it up on any forums you may be on that I'm not familiar with. I'm just getting started so it will be getting posted more and more places each day.
www.fourpeakspickup.blogspot.com

1-11-08Fourpeaks011.jpg

Yellow shirts like these?

FourPeaksPickup08075.jpg

Who is going to volunteer to Guard the trash pile after hours this year? I heard the fire was seen from Mesa last year after we all left....

Last edited:
I have an update here regarding donations. Wil and Wendy of Sierra Expeditions have set up a donations page on their website to help offset the cost of the event this year. Last year Tim put in a couple thousand dollars of his own money toward supplies and other odds and ends, but this year like so many others, Tim is currently unemployed! So we need all the help we can get!

This is a great way for those of you who want to help but cannot make it out to the cleanup to still contribute to the cause. Please go to 4 Peaks Clean Up DONATION Spot to donate!

I will be there and looking forward to seeing some old friends..
I like the response around here, this board seems to have more cleanups than many other forums I am on.

I've attempted to contact the powers that be at the Mesa landfill to try to get us free dumps on the rolloffs. I'll wait until the 3rd before I really become annoying. Heck, I might just take a trrip up there after work one day just to "show" them how important this is.

Kevin and I talked briefly about this at the meet last week and one way or another the club will make sure these dumpsters are dumped on saturday and not left out for vandals again.

I'm working on my new company for some type of help (sponsorship) one way or another.

Howdy! Anyone come up with a mobile grill to cook on yet? I wonder who used to do it out at the old ASA4WDC Jamborees at Forence Junction. I'll try to track them down. John

my neighbor has a full size grill, he cant bring his self to get rid of ,his new one is real purdy:cool: any way the old grill has been set aside for camping im sure i can get it :grinpimp:

justweldit,
That may work! Let me know if he wants to lend it.

Bman,
I got Blue Sky Sanitation out of Phoenix to give us TWO 40 yard dumpsters this year for free. Only the dumping fee will be charged. Thats about $36 per ton. If everyone donates a dollar we should be able to cover it.

THIS YEAR: No relying on the forest service to provide dumpsters and falling through. (we told them we need two full height 40 yarders last year and got one half height 40 yarder. Hence the pile of trash and bonfire! This year we will take care of it ourselves and all trash will be hauled away the same day.

Also, enjoy some pics from today:
I went up to the Four Peaks and Sycamore area today. (the cleanup will be in both areas)
There is plenty of trash, especially on the sycamore side.
4peakspickup056.jpg

4peakspickup055.jpg

4peakspickup052.jpg

4peakspickup007.jpg

4peakspickup046.jpg

4peakspickup024.jpg

4peakspickup036.jpg

Sadly, the forest service has fenced off almost every area that we cleaned last year. Sad, because closing off areas seems to be the only thing they can do to keep areas clean. Also, this just forces the shooters to other areas to trash. It doesn't prevent it. Nice, because the areas stay clean...
4peakspickup014.jpg

4peakspickup015.jpg

Four Peaks was looking good!
4peakspickup059.jpg

hey i feel i must correct you , i shoot but i dont litter when doing so ! these people are litters or slobs take your pick:mad: and im real sure we can use the grill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom