Four Bolt holes in rear bumper? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know its for towing, but is it safe? and does anyone have any hitches that you bolt on to that , that you can post pics of?

Towing

No pics but several FJ80s ago I did buy a hitch with the matching 4 bolt holes in it. The hitch was a combination pintle with 2" ball type and matched the bolt holes in the bumper perfectly. I think I bought the hitch at Tractor Supply if not it came from a trailer dealership. I towed another FJ80 from KS to TX with it and a few little trailer loads of stuff. Fine to use for anything that an FJ80 can pull.

This is what it looks like.

hitcht.jpg

The hitch in the photo is called a nato hitch they are military spec
hope this helps :)

I've used mine to pull people out, drag logs and steel and as an anchor point/winch point. Have never used it for long hauls though, and have no idea what it's rated for. There really isn't many civilian uses for a pintle hitch, but I find it mighty handy off road.

I had my welder make this up for me based on the pic. If you Google "Toyota Land Cruiser trailer hitches" you will get more options, maybe a better pic....

http://www.jtoutfitters.com/images/imagecache/jer25000a.jpg

Works pretty well. I have towed my landscape trailer and my 3000lb Boston Whaler with it. No issues. That rear cross member of the bumper is a pretty hefty piece of metal and it is attached directly to the frame.....

Last edited:
... That rear cross member of the bumper is a pretty hefty piece of metal and it is part of the frame.....

Fixed it for you!:hillbilly:

I know its for towing, but is it safe? and does anyone have any hitches that you bolt on to that , that you can post pics of?

It's perfectly safe. It's not just coincidence that the pattern matches the standard pintle hook patern. I have a pintle/ball combo hitch. advantages are it's high off the deck so doesn't drag off road, disadvantage is it's high off the deck, so real big trailers like car carriers won't sit level, and the handling will be shocking when loaded.

Here's the hitch I wish I would have purchased... now that I know you CAN use the rear frame mount. I just spent $175 on a new receiver hitch that did not include a ball mount. :mad::bang:

Convert-A-Ball Pintle Hitches

Convert-A-Ball Pintle Hook Combo with 3 Stainless Steel Balls - [Cat# PH1] - $175.00 : Martys Trailer Depot, For All Your Trailer Needs

I have a Convert-A-Ball on my other truck and it works great.
pintle.jpg

four holes

Those holes are for mounting a pintle hitch. The holes are threaded and you can go to a Nut and Blots place and get the metric bolts to mount the hitch.

Fixed it for you!:hillbilly:

I was pretty sure it was considered part of the frame, but I didn't want to overstep my tech knowledge!

I had mine built so that the receiver actually slides in under the cross member. This helps with the high mount point and bad handling.
The plate is gusseted down to the receiver tube. I know it probably wont be any good for 5000lbs, but it works for what I need it for right now.

Is the search funtion not working?

It usually works wonders for me...

^^ It may not be, but the sarcasm function is working wonderfully!:D

I made an adjustable pintle style hitch using parts from a receiver style hitch mount because I tow multiple trailers that have different tongue heights :)

adjbumperhitch6.JPG

adjbumperhitch10.JPG

adjbumperhitch7.JPG

With the ball mount removed, clearance is not an issue when wheeling :cool:

adjbumperhitch.JPG

As for safety, I'd never recommend towing anything more than 5k, but I had zero issues towing my 10k boat :eek:

villaincreggz14.JPG

villaincreggz12.JPG

Even with a few scary panic stops, the pintle hitch and the x-member held up fine :cool:

I've been digging through old threads on the subject but have yet to turn up any links to "official" ratings for the 4 holes in the rear bumper/crossmember. There's a lot of guesstimations but nothing from Toyota (even for countries overseas). I was just hoping to find something from Toyota that was official :cool:

I do understand that in the U.S. they were very conservative for liability reasons.

Snake Eater... That is a NICE hitch you have there. And a VERY nice boat.

Search " pintle hook thread" you'll find it all there man

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom