Found why my truck stinks....leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If it's the door seals the leak will show while leaking. Same with windshield, though the carpet and padding must be pulled back for viewing. Also true for firewall leaks. If no evidence there then ×2 on Dynosaur. Gutters can leak down to the bottom of the A & B pillars soaking the floor boards. Also can leak into rear quarters.

There are plastic plugs in front floorboards that can be removed to help drain.

How can I re-seal that windshield gasket? Can it be done with out removing the glass? Right now I have an electric heater in there drying it out with the windows cracked a little.

Thanks for your help.

May be wise to add a fan. If there's alota water newspapers can go a long way.
At the age of the gasket, in your clime, it may be best to replace it and verify the flange isn't rusting out. As I understand the sealant goes in the fold of the gasket against the flange and doesn't fully cure until late spring/summer temps. It's a polyurethane sealant of some sort. Not sure if the same as the gutter sealant.

C

you would not really see issues from the condensation off the A/C system except in the summer with high humidity. Like others noted I bet its the rain gutter, the windsheild gasket or the drain out there by the windshield wipers.

Those drains for the A/C system do get clogged at times....I've cut off a section of close hanger or small wire at time to un-clog the drain, that little rubber hose needs to be there and in the proper orientation.

This is what was in my cowl space! Shop vac and air hose is you're friend.

P1000082.jpg

P1000083.jpg

I'm still leaking after the cowling clip replacement. Looks like the fender is coming off. :bang::censor::doh:

Last edited:
Leak testing etc.

Update - Basically sounds like there are three main sources 1) Windshield, 2) A-pillar and, 3) firewall seams behind the fender. Took advantage of a break in the rain here to do some testing.

Below are pics of two tests, #1 is the water leaking down through the cowling behind the hood and then through the fire/fender seam.

#2 Test for leaks from the A-pillar. Note that water instantly came through the trim and was leaking straight down onto the rear and drivers door.

Neither of these test replicated the leak that started this mess.

Picture #3 is the area where the water is leaking into the cab.

So my best guess for my sitch is a windshield leak.

And then there's this . . . obviously the most likely cause of the problem :doh:

LC - Leak test #1.jpg

LC - Leak through trim.jpg

LC - Main leak loc.jpg

LC - Hole below windshield.jpg

Can you see where the water is entering? Drips from the windshield corner of the windshield? You should see water in the corner. I chased mine down and found that my leak can from seam seal that became old circled below.

DSCF1218.jpg

I'm guessing that if my leak was coming from that seam one of the two tests above would have replicated the problem?

I'm guessing that if my leak was coming from that seam one of the two tests above would have replicated the problem?

On a flat surface no, when my truck was in my driveway, front of the car up, then yes the 1st test would have caught it. But I still spent a ton of time under the dash looking for drips. I honestly thought it was the A-pillar at first due to the location of the drips.

I'm having that same problem but on the passenger fender. I put duct tape over the fender and hood gaps so I can run water down the a pillar and windshield gasket. I did not get any water running inside behind the kick panel. When I ran water over the fender gaps only, I started to get the water drip inside. I just haven't made the effort to pull the fender.
Does anyone have a full picture of the fender removed or is it a pita to remove? I think I'll try to seal it this weekend,thanks...gil

I had a similar situation that I finally got fixed after 4 months of pulling my hair out. Long story short...I noticed water on the driver and passenger side floor after it rained...the truck has been in a garage for the past ten years so the PO probably never noticed. Had the windshield gasket replaced...no dice. Then I came across an article in the TLCA toyota trails publication.

Toyota Trails - January/February 2017 Issue

This is probably the culprit in the majority of the these pre 1988 trucks. The body seam sealer behind the front fenders that runs down right below the upper cowel are was put on by hand and not well back in the day...(I imagine a tired Japanese guy on a Monday morning that had too much Saki the night before)...and anything that is still there after 30 years is gone...anyways...the fenders have to come off and seams need to be resealed as laid out in the above article. I tracked the author down who lives in British Columbia and picked his brain on this subject (he does amazing restoration work btw) On his advice I found a local body shop, printed the article/pictures off for them and they fixed it perfectly! My truck is now bone dry in the hardest of downpours. I know this thread is a little old but wanted to share my success story.

I can confirm that my leak originated in the gutters. New sealant in the gutters eliminated the leak. There's another thread somewhere on here that describes how to ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom