found this stamped on the 3rd member cross shaft

pbgbottle

Forum Lifer
just curious i pulled this front 3rd member out of a parts cruiser .thought this was strange was suppose to be an untouched front axle .:doh: where would this have come from ,stamped made in the USA ,stock open third
IMG_1710 (Small).JPG

When the early Toyotas were built, the Japanese imported a lot of parts from the USA. It was part of the tready to help rebuild the infrastructure after the USA dropped the Bomb (x2). A lot of USA technology was shared and subsequently improved upon in Japan.

When the early Toyotas were built, the Japanese imported a lot of parts from the USA. It was part of the tready to help rebuild the infrastructure after the USA dropped the Bomb (x2). A lot of USA technology was shared and subsequently improved upon in Japan.

I like you!!! Your funny!!! got anymore good ones??

Website
www.facebook.com

Are you seriously suggesting that this is an OEM pinion shaft in a Cruiser diff that was built in the US and so stamped. Seriously?

Mark...

Not sure about it but I know a few gents that served in the military after post WWII that have told me about a town in Japan that was named USA. Evidently it was a way to try to deal with the fact of folks not wanting to buy from Japan. I don't know if its a fact or not but I have seen stranger. Anyone know any older vets you might be able to ask about it?

So what? It's as arbitrary as the rest of the english speaking countries calling us yanks. It's a forum.

so respect goes out the window in forums huh?

doesnt mean we stoop to everyone elses level.

just because your in rome, doesnt mean you have to act like a roman.

UNO i know you didnt mean any offense, and none was taken, just better safe than sorry, im sure i have offened many.

okay im done chitchating

D'Animal

Rescuer of Beagles & Landcruisers
Not sure about it but I know a few gents that served in the military after post WWII that have told me about a town in Japan that was named USA. Evidently it was a way to try to deal with the fact of folks not wanting to buy from Japan. I don't know if its a fact or not but I have seen stranger. Anyone know any older vets you might be able to ask about it?

I don't know anything about the carrier in the picture. Mickey Thompson used to have his tires made in USA, Japan. As apposed to U.S.A.

Poser

Oh...Durka Durka Durka.
Supporting Vendor
I have not ever seen that stamped into a spider gear pinion shaft before. It would not surprise me that there is aftermarket ones available and that someone has been into that differential previous to you picking it up.

:beer:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Vendor
Website
www.cruiseroutfitters.com
Hmmm... I've never seen that either. I've got a couple different aftermarket & stock cross-shafts in stock, none are made in the USA. All are Japanese or Aussie.

Could have been a US spec cross shaft, turned down/modified for the Cruiser?

pbgbottle

Forum Lifer
decided to look at the two shafts today , they where both kinda stuck .gave them a little wack and out they slid . didn't look to good . what happened here?
first pic is from the rear diff ,the second pic is from the front diff . both diffs had the made in USA shafts in them:doh:
IMG_1733 (Small).JPG
IMG_1731 (Small).JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom