Found this '04... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2004 Toyota Landcruiser**One Owner**Ex. Cond.**Mint Leather**$10,995**
This 2004 showed up on my local craigslist a little while ago. I saw the price, and the condition and thought "wow thats a nice truck". No rust, ok miles, clean interior, and a nice color. And then I did some digging.....
Turns out the guy selling it might be a scam artist. Looked up the phone number, and found 2 complaints about stolen or illegal vehicles that he sold to them. Really fishy. I might go look at it this weekend. It's a really nice truck though.

Looks like a legit post though, would've fooled me for sure. Scammers are putting a lot of efforts into their schemes.

I must be turning into some kind of floor mat enthusiast, the first thing that jumped out at me was Toyota all-weather mats which are near impossible to find these days. I'd want those.

If you're interested, I'd go take a look in person. If you want to make an offer, just make sure the title is on hand to ensure no funny business.

It looks good in the pics but I'd be surprised it has no rust considering it spent its whole life in NH and MA for 194k miles. AND the pictures are taken on the sand at a beach, of all places. You can see some rust on the rear brakes but that isn't abnormal. Everything else looks legit but just proceed with caution. Not much to lose since you're local. Got a VIN#?

It looks good in the pics but I'd be surprised it has no rust considering it spent its whole life in NH and MA for 194k miles. AND the pictures are taken on the sand at a beach, of all places. You can see some rust on the rear brakes but that isn't abnormal. Everything else looks legit but just proceed with caution. Not much to lose since you're local. Got a VIN#?
No Vin. The frame looks clean from what I can see in the wheel arches

Looks like a legit post though, would've fooled me for sure. Scammers are putting a lot of efforts into their schemes.
It might be legit. As long as the title is present when we look at it, and the signatures and everything is 100% accurate, it's most likely a sale. I'm definitely getting a pre purchased inspection on this one. I learned my lesson...

What happened and what did you learn?
Bought a rusty '99 without getting it inspected first, and it failed inspection a month later for a whole in the frame and rusted brake lines.

Bought a rusty '99 without getting it inspected first, and it failed inspection a month later for a whole in the frame and rusted brake lines.

That's why I am here to learn and not to make mistakes that could be avoidable. I am sure we all have made mistakes in our life's and that's the good thing about these enthusiast boards where members have wealth of knowledge to share with each other.

Most likely going to look at the truck this weekend. Emailed seller for undercarriage and VIN number to run a carfax, to make sure the seller had the vehicle in his possession recently (one complaint said he was selling a vehicle that was already sold to a dealership months before he sold it).

Local to me too cbeckfj, I saw this pop up.
I own an 06 but can’t help myself and still look for spare 100 series, lol. An addiction.
I agree it has to have some type of undercarriage rust living up here with those miles. Good luck, I hope everything turns out well for you though. It does look like a clean rig and I’m digging the color.

Second one seems better owing to circumstances and if the underbelly checks out. I found a couple of things oddly worded in the first ad tho, like the random "low rent town" dig and also "rear doors are stiff cuz back door unused"... ummmmm, what? I don't seem to recall having to work the doors back and forth on any new cars for a while before they open smoothly, but maybe they handle that at the dealerships in advance. lol

Second one seems better owing to circumstances and if the underbelly checks out. I found a couple of things oddly worded in the first ad tho, like the random "low rent town" dig and also "rear doors are stiff cuz back door unused"... ummmmm, what? I don't seem to recall having to work the doors back and forth on any new cars for a while before they open smoothly, but maybe they handle that at the dealerships in advance. lol
yeah the fact that its at a dealership makes it a lot better. "low rent town" lol. He was talking about Newcastle NH, one of the more expensive towns in the state.

I dont know if anyone is able to get some undercarriage pictures. I already tried, no response from the dealer. If anyone else could try, that would be greatly appreciated.

These are old trucks now and most/majority have some sort of issues, accidents, minor fender benders, imperfect car faxes, rust issues, torn leather, no service records etc. You have to decide your own tolerances and figure out what works for you. If dealer is not sending you the undercarriage pictures, ask yourself, why? They deal with cars all day long, 24/7/365 and they bloody well know if they sent you the pictures, the cat would out of the hat and they won;t be able to sell it, hence just ignore the request.
Few things you go to cover yourself in case you do like the rig.
1)- Do all correspondence via email (business, his dealership)
2)- Arrange to get a PPI done and you'd be glad those were the best $150 dollars you ever spent. Have the PPI Toyota dealership comment on the rust and take some pictures for you
3)- Ask him to comment on the degree of the rust and Leave him a deposit (refundable) pending personal inspection.

If they sound too shady and act shady, they probably are shady. Unfortunately been there, done that, quite a few times. dealers are the lowest of the lowest of the lowest, homosapian kind in the world

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom