Found out what happens when you rush the g-plugs... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tauranga New Zealand via Vancouver Island Canada
I'm working this week on a contract building a deck. I jumped in the rig at the end of the day, notched the key into "go go glow plugs" and started it before the light went out. It shuddered harder than normal, and the idle was crappy for a full minute with a big diesel fart as I pulled away.

I apologized to her, promised to wait for the click from now on. Everything normal 100yds down the road.

Lesson learned.

nothing to worry about moose. glow plugs preheat the air in order to achieve the necessary temp for combustion. you most likely just have incomplete combustion in a few cylinders until the engine warms up. this would be indicated by the black smoke.

yep .. for a long day engine stoped need to prehead .. ! and is your glow plugs go bad .. you know :D

But anycase is you have good compresion your engince can star without preheating .. but shudder more than usual ..

I have done that to me before and said sorry to it too, I don't think it liked it!!!

I think talking to things makes them work better, I could just be tripping though

LOL

Hi everybody!

Red herring, there's just a glow grid! :D You know that air intake heater! Have you ever seen the light comming on for the preheat in the HJ? I have only a few times last winter, as i've gathered, it only comes on below -1 celcius, and stay on as long as the glow plugs only below -10!

are we supposed to be impressed, why doesn't it have glow plugs?

All tractors, have glow plugs and all other trcks don't they?

Eric, it doesn't have glow plugs cos it has direct injection, and starts straight away, exept when extremely cold, and that's why it has the glow intake grid. 13BT has the same may be LJ and KZJ too, but there i'm not sure!

Bye.

Max.

The 12ht has a glow screen that warms the air as it enters the intake manifold when it is cold out (-1 or -2...). Even then its just a blip. Comes on fully only when it get to -10. When I first got the rig... I scratched my head, thinking the glow relay was burnt out.

Satamax said:
Eric, it doesn't have glow plugs cos it has direct injection, and starts straight away, exept when extremely cold, and that's why it has the glow intake grid. 13BT has the same may be LJ and KZJ too, but there i'm not sure!Bye.Max.

First time I saw a 1HD-T in the flesh I wondered what was up...Glowplugs!!!!!

But ya...the joys of direct injection. Thing fired right up without hardly a full revolution of the starter, and no glow...

gb

Red Herring said:
The 12ht has a glow screen that warms the air as it enters the intake manifold when it is cold out (-1 or -2...). Even then its just a blip. Comes on fully only when it get to -10. When I first got the rig... I scratched my head, thinking the glow relay was burnt out.

Stone did the "Stickboy" mode to my direct injected 13BT glowscreen system, whereby I can push a button on the dash, making the sensor think it's colder then it is, and glow the screen for a few seconds. Helps tremendously in that 0C to -5C area when the factory setting seems not quite enough...

You could do it easy enough on your 12HT too...

gb

Last edited:
so.... if it starts up pretty quickly, is there any reason to use the glowplugs?

I mean to say- I live in 90+ heat most of the year. I always wait out the whole 20 seconds, sometimes is drives me a little nuts- I mean, with the truck stopped and the fan off (I flick it off to glow), I'm sitting there cooking my ass off while waiting for the motor to "get warm"... seems silly. When the motor is pretty warm, I usually just glow 10 seconds or so and it starts up fine.

But if the truck is parked in full sun, the temp guage often reads about 120 anyway.... do I still need to glow?

the ambiant air might be 120 (wow that is hot) but the internals of the engine won't be...
that being said, if it starts right up then no harm is being done...
on the glow screen vehicles very seldom do i see the glow indicator come on and on the HDT the light comes on very briefly on the first fire up in the morning...

It also happens if you mess with the edic arm and it doesn't overinject at startup. Ask me how i know that.

I'm guessing that the valve cover at least is around that temp--- after all, the temp guage is connected there, right? And yes, 120 is darn hot! :)

I imagine that the dark blue hood gets up to around 140* in full sun at midday. Maybe hotter. I've literally burned myself on the ARB bullbar before by incautiously leaning on it.

We are at 10* N (more or less) it is hot here when the sun is beating straight down. Real hot.

But then.... the ocean is just a stone's throw away and it is often breezy. Heck, right now it is probably under 78 degrees outside (raining cats and dogs). I'm thinking about going to put a shirt on as I'm a little chilly.

All this talk of glowplugs and starts has me again wanting to put a prelube system on my 60. I love the sound of the oil pumping to the top end before a start. Anyone done this? I think i may start piecing it together just for s***s and giggles of course.

Where in the intake is this "glow screen" located? Can you adapt one to put on a 3B that might be fun to.

:beer: :beer:

Silvercrusher, it's usualy located on the intake pipe flange.

moteur13BT28.gif

In my case here in Panamá ( around 32ºC ) only glow my 2H after more than 4 hours stop. After 8 hours of work and my HJ-60 down the sun, not glow .. start and after 2 cycle Rummmmmmm Rummmmmm rummmmmm beauty sound of 2H engine .. !

I guess I should restate my question:

I know I **can** start without the glowplugs, it just runs a little rough and is a little smokey.
My question is: Am I doing harm?

Most of the time the 20 seconds is no big deal, I guess I should just think of it as forced micro-medition time. And enjoy the brief rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom