1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

found LED tail-lamp bulbs (replace 1157s) / aftermarket bulbs in general --

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by erics_bruisers, Mar 23, 2004.

1. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

2. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

3. george_tlc

george_tlc SILVER Star

found LED tail-lamp bulbs (replace 1157s)

Just verify they are DOT approved. You don't want to have an accident and then have some legal issue that your brake/signal lights were after market and not approved.

george.

4. sjpitts

sjpitts

I looked at the second web site. They say that the white 1157 LED's have a total luninous intensity of 32.87 LM.

Does anybody know how that compares to a regular lamp?

I bought some high output 1157 lamps and put them in the back-up lamps on my FJ55. I think they were 50 watts. They were nice and bright, but they melted a circle on the plastic lens. Not enough to melt a hole in the lens, but enough to discolor them.

I wonder if these LED's would be as bright as the 50 watt bulbs without the heat issue

Jared

5. kstone

kstone

from superbrightleds.com:

LED bulbs are generally not as bright as standard incandescent bulbs, they have many advantages over filament bulbs (longer life, faster on/off times, lower power consumption, more vivid colors) but brightness is not one of them.

I don't think I will use these as taillamps.

6. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

Re:found LED tail-lamp bulbs (replace 1157s)

I ordered a pair -- they're coming Friday -- I'll put up a comparison pic --

eric

7. RavenTai

RavenTai

Re:found LED tail-lamp bulbs (replace 1157s)

a normal incandescent bulb radiates light in all directions half of the light hits the lens and the other half hits a reflector and is bounced to the lens making the whole light appear lit, not just the bulb area, LED's emit light in a beam your tail lights might appear as a small circle where the bulb is only and possibly reduce their visibility to other drivers

the LED lights you see on semi trailers use a large array of leds that cover the entire interior of the lamp, making the whole lamp appear lit

I know that site claims wide angle but there is no way for the leds in that bulb to cast light on the reflector to make the whole tail light appear lit

Let us know what you think of them

8. kstone

kstone

I started searching and found this site:
    https://www.netdisty.net/ds/aut1157/default.asp

I like this design because it has radial mounted LED's that should help disperse light on the reflector. Pricey at $37 though.

9. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

[quote author=kstone link=board=2;threadid=13576;start=msg126114#msg126114 date=1080096493]
    I started searching and found this site:
    https://www.netdisty.net/ds/aut1157/default.asp

I like this design because it has radial mounted LED's that should help disperse light on the reflector. Pricey at $37 though.
    [/quote]

I like the straight-on ones -- dunno why -- just look cool -- probably won't work worth a crap though -

;)

eric

10. tlcrookie

tlcrookie

On the subject of lighting, I’d like to piggyback and find out if anyone has tried the Sylvania Silver Star headlamp light bulb? I’ve been told it’s supposed to be a brighter light without looking like a cheap HID imitation.

Any thoughts?

11. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

Thought? Yes - do a search. Headlamp bulbs were discussed heavily about a month ago.

Rgds,

DougM

12. scottm

scottm

Media:
    Albums:
    Brightness was my priority when I went to halogen taillights. I did one side and waited to check the difference, got interrupted. The next day someone followed me across town, told me something was wrong with the taillights on one side: he could barely see them. That's how much brighter the halogens are.

13. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

I went to the local Canadian tire last year . I wanted to replace my tail light bulbs . I found the section , but noticed that there were several choices ... many different stock numbers to choose , and some bulbs were even a lil bigger globed than others . I asked the counter and he said that as the stock number gets higher , so does the wattage . So I said screw it , and bought pretty much the fattest , higher wattage tail lamps I could find . Threw them in at work that nite , and had guys check them out side by side .. and the difference was nuts ! Way , way wayyyyyyy more bright :D . No damage in the way of melting , or any extra heat has been noted so far . Also , no one has seemed aggrevated behind me at a light either . Pretty good bang for the buck ..... if you want details on the bulbs , I'll go down to the garage later and pull one out .
    [color=555555]T[/color][color=2E3136]T[/color][color=555555]Y[/color][color=2E3136]Y[/color][color=555555]L[/color][color=2E3136]L[/color][color=555555]E[/color][color=2E3136]E[/color][color=555555]R[/color][color=2E3136]R[/color]

14. cary

cary

Tailights & Backup bulbs- Check with Daniel Stern for the Narva replacement bulbs. I am using them on my backup lights and they are much brighter. They have proper filament placement and will not melt your lenses.

Silverstar bulbs- In the US these are simply a tinted bulb. They put out the same 1000 lumens as the standard 9006 bulbs. If you check the faq you will find out what you should run.

Cary

15. RavenTai

RavenTai

16. nakman

nakman addict.

Been meaning to post this for a little while now... this is what the Navara bulb looks like, obtained through Cary's hookup.

17. nakman

nakman addict.

The smaller bulb on the left is the new one, the big one on the right is stock. Pic below shows the new bulb installed on the right side, original bulb still in the left side.

18. Riley

Riley

Anybody know what led bulb I can find to replace the courtesy bulbs in the doors for the rear seat? I'm mainly trying to reduce current draw.

19. RavenTai

RavenTai

http://www.geocities.com/george_tlc/led.html

click on "Installation in a Land Cruiser" and then scroll down to the bottom. not sure if this is for the front or rear, that is George's site (near top of thead) he will be able to get you more info