Found Cheap XL's will they fit on my Slee/J/L lift? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

blunt

More ambition than motivation
Threads
Ok, so I found a cheap set of Michelin XL 11-R16 tires and currently have Slee 4" mediums up front, OME J Heavys in the rear, and L shocks all around. I am wondering how much trimming I would have to do and whether I would be able to keep my flares on. I have read MSG, Cody, etc threads and am wondering whether I should get the tires. I would not run these full time but would want to be able to put them on for some trail fun every once in a while. I realize that I would ideally need gears, Longs, Poly Pros, and maybe bumpstop extensions to be safe.
So, can anyone give any experience with a setup like mine with these tires? They are a little skinnier than the XMLs so that should help me out a little.

Thanks!:cheers:

You've read the threads, it's been done. You willing to cut a bit of metal? Your flare bolts are pretty high up from the wells, so you can trim the plastic, too.

Personally I'd just run some 37's and avoid the rest of it, keeping them on full time, but then that's what I did :D

I can get a set of 5 XLs for $325 locally, so that is what is steering me toward that size. I had my eyes on a set of 37 Trxus like you have. I have had 2 sets of Trxus in smaller sizes and it is the best tire I have ever owned. I would be spending another $900 on top of this price for the Trxus...

I guess I could always go with a small body lift or spacer in the front to minimize the cutting. I was hoping that someone who has run this same setup would chime in and give me the "warm fuzzy" feeling about being able to throw the tires on without a ton of cutting. I am ok with a little cutting. I prefer the looks of the flares but am not completely attached to them if it is the difference between a lot more sheet metal cutting or not.

I hear you on price. New 37's cost a fortune.

My concern would be the turning radius clearance to the back of the front wheel wells as I personally wouldn't want to trim much there - my 37's barely clear. In that second pic, I have about 1/2" clearance. You would be adding about 1" in tire size over mine, so 1/2" radius. It would be really close. Skinny helps, but I am not sure how much. You can also see how close I get to the control arms.

I think the rear would be pretty simple.
FOR Gen II 37's Control Arm Clearance.jpg
FOR Gen II 37's Crank Clearance.jpg

Thanks for the pictures Nay!

I don't have any armor at the moment and am lighter in the back without 3rd row seats and the spare tire is in my garage (bad idea). I am probably as light as you can be on these springs, so I am getting more lift than I should be. I believe that 37s would be the right fit for me now and would be ok down the road when I do get armor, as I can make my adjustments then.

It is just hard to pass up on a deal like this...

It might not hurt to just get them and try it out. If I don't like the rubbing/ amount that would have to be trimmed, I could always use them on another project.

Any other insight is greatly appreciated...help convince me to buy these!!! :steer:

Thanks for the link infojunky. They are different tires, but same idea. It sounds like he was running a similar setup as me...hmmmmm. :hmm:

I ran these with Slee's 6" lift and a Roger Brown 2" body lift, flares removed, mud flaps trimmed and had no clearance issues. Great price on those 11.00 x 16's. I loved them.

xl is the softest tread of the X series.

good price, sipe and break them up and wheel
them :)

Some pics of what mine looked like on a former cruiser.
IMG_0403.jpg
IMG_0396.jpg
IMG_0390.jpg

The actually ride down the road very nice. They are a high quality, military spec tire. Just be prepared to feel like a pilot of a B24 Bomber. They do howl a bit at 65 MPH.

I believe I would ned at least a small bdy lift and some fender trimming to make them fit. I am not a fan of a body lift of more than 1" though. I may have to really lower the bumpstops. I guess I will just get them and then figure out the details later. FIWI.

Apparently, a few of the tires are dry cracked on the sidewalls. I would say 1 has no cracks, 2 have tiny cracks, and 2 are cracked pretty bad. I am having second thoughts about this now. I would be ok with the 3 that are the best and then would have to buy another and use one of the bad ones for a spare. I'm thinking it may be worth just saving up for some Trxus 37s now... any suggestions? I realize that the sidewalls are super thick on these but I don't want to worry about blowing one out going down the road.

I wouldn't risk it on a street rig. I'd use them for offroad only if they're cracked..........

Apparently, a few of the tires are dry cracked on the sidewalls. I would say 1 has no cracks, 2 have tiny cracks, and 2 are cracked pretty bad. I am having second thoughts about this now. I would be ok with the 3 that are the best and then would have to buy another and use one of the bad ones for a spare. I'm thinking it may be worth just saving up for some Trxus 37s now... any suggestions? I realize that the sidewalls are super thick on these but I don't want to worry about blowing one out going down the road.

Trxus, baby :grinpimp:

At $340 a pop Nay...

The problem with getting the XL now is they don't make them anymore so you are getting a much older tire. The XZL and XML are still being produced, but the XL is done from what I was just told by Charles at Wartires. The 325/85R16 XML is a very popular tire, but demand far outpaces supply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom