Builds Found an Arabian FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Decided to commute by 40 today… such a pleasant driver. And the 40 easily fits in the compact parking spots.

View attachment 3214534

I bought a set of split rims longer ago than I can remember. Never installed and if I did would only be on my FJ45. I was lucky to find a spare tire winch setup from an 84 troopy. The 65 FJ45 spare setup left a lot to be desired. Lifting a spare onto back carrier on a FJ40 is beyond what I am willing do today. I also wonder the extra strain the the tub over the stock 15" wheel used here in the US. I have a fondness for these rims.
IMG_20190822_190232324.jpg

Requires an inch spacer on the front axle and used one with the spare. These rims weight far less than the steel split rims. Unless you pound on the rocks to bend a rim aluminum is find. Not a permanent change and easy to go back to stock.

Fun read.

My brake booster recently gave up the ghost... it was the original 1977 part. We restored it during the truck's Resto and even preserved the original part tag. When I upgraded to front discs and replaced the brake master some suggested I just replace the booster. But it was working and it had that cool part tag. And it's given me 10 years of service, so not too bad.

Here it is, retired at 47 years of service.
447oldbooster.jpg

Still so pretty looking.
448outwiththeold.jpg

And it's out...
449removed.jpg

Snagged a new one from CityRacer. Set all of the adjustments to match the old booster and dropped it in.
450replaced.jpg

Holy cow what a difference! I think mine must have been degrading in performance over time... because the brakes are amazing now.

Huge thanks to @Racer65 for offering these parts to keep our trucks on the road.

I should probably do this proactively as I just randomly decided to replace my booster hose and my brakes are way better all of a sudden. Just trying to track down possible vac leaks and this hose looked suspect.

I should probably do this proactively as I just randomly decided to replace my booster hose and my brakes are way better all of a sudden. Just trying to track down possible vac leaks and this hose looked suspect.
Wouldn't hurt to have the CityRacer part sitting on the shelf for when that day comes.
I checked vacuum on the hose when the problems first started... 16-20 psi of vacuum, so no issues there. A quick Mityvac test of the booster showed it was the problem.

Wouldn't hurt to have the CityRacer part sitting on the shelf for when that day comes.
I checked vacuum on the hose when the problems first started... 16-20 psi of vacuum, so no issues there. A quick Mityvac test of the booster showed it was the problem.
I’m showing a steady 17.5 but I’m at a whopping 660’ so I feel like it should be higher. I’m desmogged so not too many culprits.

Having a spare booster ready to rock is sound advice, especially with this honker in here:
image.jpg

My brake booster recently gave up the ghost... it was the original 1977 part. We restored it during the truck's Resto and even preserved the original part tag. When I upgraded to front discs and replaced the brake master some suggested I just replace the booster. But it was working and it had that cool part tag. And it's given me 10 years of service, so not too bad.

Here it is, retired at 47 years of service.
Still so pretty looking.
And it's out...
Snagged a new one from CityRacer. Set all of the adjustments to match the old booster and dropped it in.

Holy cow what a difference! I think mine must have been degrading in performance over time... because the brakes are amazing now.
Huge thanks to @Racer65 for offering these parts to keep our trucks on the road.

That’s a good run…🏆

I’m launching a preemptive upgrade soon.

@Honger your old booster is Toyota Art Du Jour, worthy of enshrinement on the garage wall, office, den or man cave. I bet the Mrs would enjoy a night stand lamp made from an old booster..

I have boxes of old parts I can’t seem to part with….🙄 you never know, someday I might need a set of worn out leaf springs, old shocks or a vintage 15” tire..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom