Found a new fishing hole - fuel sensor access hole after losing gas can nozzle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is for the next poor guy looking for this answer. Yes you can see into the fuel tank to fish things out via the fuel sensor opening (at least on a '76).

Alright, I love these trucks but they always laugh at you when you least want it - probably deserved it though. I ran out of gas pulling into the driveway (the gas gauge recently stopped working) and was very proud I had a spare can just in case. As I was filling it I saw the nozzle fall off the can and disappear into the fuel tank. Nope, not kidding.

Thought about fishing it out a couple different ways. I searched mud and only came across one post about a gas nozzle rattling in the tank but no insight into getting it out other than drain and remove.

In case this happens to you following are the steps:

1) Removed the passenger seat to access the fuel sensor
2) Removed the float and was able to see the nozzle sitting in a way cleaner tank than I thought possible.
3) Was able to fish it out with bbq tongs
4) Retired all the new fangled gas cans

The sensor is unplugged in the photo to test if - not the reason it was. 5 screws very carefully removed so they don't fall in and then easy access to the tank.
gas float access.jpg

Offending gas can and nozzle - since retired

gas can 2.jpg

gas can (2).jpg

gas float access.jpg

Go to an ARC, Goodwill, or Habitat for Humanity 'ReStore' and look for old gas cans and nozzles. You can find them on Craigslist, but they are disappearing. I have gotten rid of all new-style cans and nozzles to my great joy.

Go to an ARC, Goodwill, or Habitat for Humanity 'ReStore' and look for old gas cans and nozzles. You can find them on Craigslist, but they are disappearing. I have gotten rid of all new-style cans and nozzles to my great joy.
That's a great idea. I bought a pack of replacement nozzles online for the old cans. They split over time, but they don't fall in gas tanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom